Glider Electronics Experiment #1 - electrical crosstalk demonstrated

Old May 1st 20, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Lancaster[_2_]

Default Glider Electronics Experiment #1 - electrical crosstalk demonstrated

Hi all,

I got a bit bored and started filming some glider electronics experiments. I am attempting to pitch them to be interesting and understandable even if you don't know much about electronics.

First up:
Glider Electronics Experiment #1 - electrical crosstalk demonstrated

Available he
https://RJPLancaster.net/

Best regards,

Richard

Old May 2nd 20, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Dang!
Learned something there, let me tell you.
I'm going to check my wiring after that demo.
I keep picking up Linda Rohnstat on my radio, is this why?
Nick

Old May 2nd 20, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 10:17:03 AM UTC-7, Richard Lancaster wrote:
Hi all,

I got a bit bored and started filming some glider electronics experiments. I am attempting to pitch them to be interesting and understandable even if you don't know much about electronics.

First up:
Glider Electronics Experiment #1 - electrical crosstalk demonstrated

Available he
https://RJPLancaster.net/

Best regards,

Richard

Well done, Richard. Electrical interference is a tough subject even for electrical engineers, such as myself. You presentation is an intuitive approach, which is much more understandable than, say, equivalent circuits. Keep it up.

Tom
Old May 2nd 20, 10:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Lancaster[_2_]

Thanks all for the positive comments.

Got asked on the UK glider forum for a description of what the video was about. So in case anyone is debating whether to sink their time into it, here's a quick abstract:

"Electrical crosstalk is a type of interference where the signals carried in
one set of wires "talk across" into another set of wires. This video sets
up a simple glider electrical harness, talks about how crosstalk might
occur in it, demonstrates it occurring and illustrates the magnitude of the
consequences to the pilot."

Best regards,

Richard
Old May 2nd 20, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Livingston

Nice demo of cross talk. Last year I fixed a problem in our glider where the microphone wires were not completely shielded, as in your demo, and were picking up signal from the radio speaker wires, also not completely shielded. The result was intermittently the radio would squeal during transmit due to feedback from the speaker back into the microphone. It was intermittent due to the wires shifting slightly every time the canopy opened/closed. Shielding both the speaker and microphone wires fixed the problem.

Rich L.
Old May 2nd 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 10:17:03 AM UTC-7, Richard Lancaster wrote:
Hi all,

I got a bit bored and started filming some glider electronics experiments. I am attempting to pitch them to be interesting and understandable even if you don't know much about electronics.

First up:
Glider Electronics Experiment #1 - electrical crosstalk demonstrated

Available he
https://RJPLancaster.net/

Best regards,

Richard

Well done. I'm looking forward for your next installment. Thank you!
Craig
Old May 2nd 20, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 2:22:55 AM UTC-7, Richard Lancaster wrote:
Thanks all for the positive comments.

Got asked on the UK glider forum for a description of what the video was about. So in case anyone is debating whether to sink their time into it, here's a quick abstract:

"Electrical crosstalk is a type of interference where the signals carried in
one set of wires "talk across" into another set of wires. This video sets
up a simple glider electrical harness, talks about how crosstalk might
occur in it, demonstrates it occurring and illustrates the magnitude of the
consequences to the pilot."

Best regards,

Richard

Great YouTube when is the next one on shielding.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 2nd 20, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Lancaster[_2_]

On Saturday, 2 May 2020 16:20:40 UTC+1, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
Great YouTube when is the next one on shielding.

Am attempting to film the next one tomorrow (Sunday), then hopefully edited by the end of the week.

Richard
Old May 2nd 20, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Lancaster[_2_]

On Saturday, 2 May 2020 14:41:54 UTC+1, Richard Livingston wrote:
It was intermittent due to the wires shifting slightly
every time the canopy opened/closed. Shielding both the
speaker and microphone wires fixed the problem.

Setting up these experiments I was intriged by how much small relative movements in the cables when they are bundled together, even at a single point in the cable run, can change the crosstalk. Will try to show that and the effect of distance in the next video if I can pull off a clean demo.

Richard