Lubricity and Auto diesel conversions

Old September 23rd 04, 08:38 AM
Dude

Default Lubricity and Auto diesel conversions

I read in Road and Track that US diesel fuels have lower lubricity than the
euro diesel. This can cause problems with the new import diesels.

Does anyone know about Jet A?

Will this affect the SMA and Thielert engines?

Old September 23rd 04, 10:43 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Dude" wrote in message
I read in Road and Track that US diesel fuels have lower lubricity than

the
euro diesel. This can cause problems with the new import diesels.

Does anyone know about Jet A?

Will this affect the SMA and Thielert engines?

Jet-A has much lower lubricity than diesel fuel. The Thielert is
specifically made to run on Jet-A...I would guess all aero diesels
are.

I wouldn't recommend running Jet-A in a road diesel though, unless
you can modify the injector pump.

Paul

Old September 23rd 04, 02:17 PM
David Lesher

"Paul Sengupta" writes:

I read in Road and Track that US diesel fuels have lower lubricity than

the
euro diesel. This can cause problems with the new import diesels.

Does anyone know about Jet A?

Will this affect the SMA and Thielert engines?

Jet-A has much lower lubricity than diesel fuel. The Thielert is
specifically made to run on Jet-A...I would guess all aero diesels
are.

I wouldn't recommend running Jet-A in a road diesel though, unless
you can modify the injector pump.

Indeed; the guys I knew who maintained Detroit & Cummings-driven
refueling trucks at a major a/p told me running them on JetA was
responsible for reducing the engine life considerably. But the ready
availability and untaxed cost of it made it desirable.

Indeed much of the ramp lice you see have Diesels and run on JetA.
--
A host is a host from coast to

Old September 23rd 04, 10:02 PM
Newps

Dude wrote:
I wonder if there is an additive you could put in it, like an STP for jet a?

Yes. This question came up in Truck Trend magazine a while back. A guy
wrote in that he was a mechanic for some major airline. Any fuel taken
out of the plane could not be put back in, it was stored for disposal.
He wanted to know if he could run the jet A in his F350. Answer was
because all the lubricity is refined out of jet fuel you could use it
but you had to put that back in. Somebody sold it in small cans but I
didn't pay attention to who it was as I don't have a diesel yet.