2 HSI's with 1 gyro/fluxgate?

Old May 16th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default 2 HSI's with 1 gyro/fluxgate?

Hello,

Our panel has a King HSI in it aswell as a 2nd ILS/GS indicator. If we
put in a 2nd HSI or EHSI, can they both run off one gyro/fluxgate? Or
do we need a gyro/fluxgate for each?

-dr

Old May 16th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I have an HSI and an indicator running off one gyro, so...yes...one gyro can
run both.

Karl
ATP CFI ETC
"Curator" N185KG

ups.com...

Old May 17th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

FWIW:

On a B727, there is a provision for switching Captain's or F/O's RMI to the
"other pilot's" compass system. One would select "Both on Comp1" or "Both on
Comp2"

So, it seems that you can drive 2 RMI's or whatever off one fluxgate.

Old May 17th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Dico" posted the exciting message
ups.com:

Hello,

Our panel has a King HSI in it aswell as a 2nd ILS/GS indicator. If we
put in a 2nd HSI or EHSI, can they both run off one gyro/fluxgate? Or
do we need a gyro/fluxgate for each?

-dr

You need another flux capacitor along with a Mr. Fusion for the correct
power levels.
Old May 17th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Perfect.... thanks for your help everyone!

Old May 22nd 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dico wrote:
Perfect.... thanks for your help everyone!

Actually, I *think* the answer is no. I don't have the books in front
of me, but the HSI (actually, the circuit card in the gyro) generates
the excitation signal to the fluxgate. Since the response is only a
phase issue with respect to the excitation signal, I don't see how you
could couple it to two HSI's. [Actually, since it is only used to
maintain alignment over the long-term, I guess you could rig a switch
that hooked the flux gate to one HSI for a few minutes, then the other,
then back again. Not very elegant.]

Now all this is for the old King KCS-55 system. There may be something
newer available.