Benalla

Old January 13th 17, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Benalla

FLARM is most definitely *not* useless in big crowded gaggles. You do need competition mode enabled, and a proper display (I recommend a FlarmView).
Has saved me many times already this competition from gliders turning inside me just as I was about to tighten up.
Old January 13th 17, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 3:45:02 PM UTC-8, wrote:
FLARM is most definitely *not* useless in big crowded gaggles. You do need competition mode enabled, and a proper display (I recommend a FlarmView).
Has saved me many times already this competition from gliders turning inside me just as I was about to tighten up.

In Matthew Scutter's video of a crowded Benalla pre-start gaggle, the FLARM behaves as it should.
Can only find the video on FB. Sorry.
https://www.facebook.com/SoaringSocietyofAmerica/
Jim
Old January 13th 17, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What happens when you "like" something and why should I do it?

On 1/12/2017 1:20 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 12:01:02 PM UTC-7, Dan Stroschine wrote:
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 3:28:41 AM UTC-7, Dave Springford wrote:
There are 70 trackers deployed amongst 113 pilots. They were dispersed such that every country has at least one tracker per class so you can probably guess where the other pilot from each country is, in each class

The tracking seems to be working great! The refresh is amazing. Now it's even more interesting to watch.

Yes, but the missing 43 trackers and those not functioning make the race less interesting because you can see some of the real challenges live. It'll get better along with the new Iridium satellite constellation and other changes.

WRT Facebook reluctance and luddites. I don't post much on Facebook, but really do enjoy the streams from various quarters including many of the people I shared a military career with. Social media is not a panacea, the Internet is simply a smorgasbord of shifting paradigms. So much so that it is difficult to keep up with more than 3-4 or maybe a half dozen. However, Facebook does allow for various soaring communities to share and for some sites to aggregate this actively. I expect more in the future.

I'll share that someone with a video channel has recently and suddenly seen a huge increase in viewers and comments and questions that appear to be contact from a new demographic, millennials I'd reckon, based on the banter. Almost like a celeb tweeted a channel checkout to a fanbase. Flash in the pan or long term impact remains to be seen.

So get a gmail or some other toss away account, sign up for Facebook and like some soaring related pages. Twitter is not as engaged in US Soaring as it is in Europe and Canada. I'm clueless about snapchat, but my attention span is longer than 30 seconds.

You too Bob!

Frank Whiteley

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 13th 17, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Claffey[_2_]

At 21:27 12 January 2017, Jock Proudfoot wrote:
At 14:13 12 January 2017, krasw wrote:
There was a mid-air collision in 18m class today. Both damaged

gliders returned to airfield. Such routine is this at WGC level that it
did not make news anywhere?

Do they use FLARM ?

Yes, Flarm is mandatory.
T1

Old January 13th 17, 10:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 5:16:20 AM UTC+3, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

The person who posted the thing you "like" can see a count of how many people "liked" it (and can bring up a list of just who) and may get a warm fuzzy feeling in their tummy.
Old January 13th 17, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

.... and the Zuck gets more information about you that he can flog to
advertisers.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 13th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

FYI if you make a bogus FB account and use it only to consume content without giving any data FB will eventually lock it. No one rides for free.
Old January 13th 17, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, showing me ads for items I've already purchased via Amazon somehow seems like a waste of bandwidth. Scrolling past the other ads is trivial. We don't get any of that on our organizational pages. Remember MySpace? Still out there but no one talks about it much. Same could happen with Facebook in time but soaring organizations can't really ignore it for now. A lot of video and other content is there at the moment that may not appear elsewhere, which is unfortunate, because I'd really like to share it with Bob. BGA makes pretty good use of FB and Twitter.

Your personal digital footprint is interesting BTW.

Best,

Frank Whiteley
Old January 13th 17, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

wrote:
[...]

At least some is shareable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMaYwImixc
@5:46 gets some comments.
Old January 13th 17, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

wrote:
[...]

I minimise it somewhat, but I do run a couple of websites and have
projects on SourceForge and have fairly wide interests.

OTOH I don't use any social media, unless you count Newsgroups accessed
over NNTP and SEN. My home site is locked up fairly tight and checked for
leaks and visibility with Gibson Research's ShieldsUP tool.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK