new SSA web site

Old March 31st 21, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default new SSA web site

The "new web site" is live, and it is very slow to load, and I can't
find anything... Where did the state records go?

And when I tried to login it made me spend much time training Google's
AI via a "Captcha" - I hate those things with a white-hot passion!

And then it rejected my password. (I haven't typed it in in years as my
browser remembered it.) For each attempt it wanted a new Captcha. Then
I clicked on "lost password". That too wanted a Captcha. Then it said
my "username" (6 digits) is not valid. Neither is my email (another
captcha).

I may never login to SSA again!
Old March 31st 21, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 3:18:31 PM UTC-4, Moshe Braner wrote:
The "new web site" is live, and it is very slow to load, and I can't
find anything... Where did the state records go?

And when I tried to login it made me spend much time training Google's
AI via a "Captcha" - I hate those things with a white-hot passion!

And then it rejected my password. (I haven't typed it in in years as my
browser remembered it.) For each attempt it wanted a new Captcha. Then
I clicked on "lost password". That too wanted a Captcha. Then it said
my "username" (6 digits) is not valid. Neither is my email (another
captcha).

I may never login to SSA again!

Heck, you're doing better than me, I don't even see where to log in!? Why couldn't this wait until Winter?
Old March 31st 21, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeffrey Resnik

I can't seem to get the tracker to work.

Old March 31st 21, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 3/31/2021 3:22 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
The "new web site" is live, and it is very slow to load, and I can't
find anything...Â* Where did the state records go?

And when I tried to login it made me spend much time training Google's
AI via a "Captcha" - I hate those things with a white-hot passion!

And then it rejected my password.Â* (I haven't typed it in in years as my
browser remembered it.)Â* For each attempt it wanted a new Captcha.Â* Then
I clicked on "lost password".Â* That too wanted a Captcha.Â* Then it said
my "username" (6 digits) is not valid.Â* Neither is my email (another
captcha).

I may never login to SSA again!

I got this email response from Alexa Owens, SSA Marketing/Membership
Manager:

"We are launching our new website today and are in testing phase. No one
will be able to log in until tomorrow. You will receive an email from us
about the new website as well as a password reset link. Thank you for
your patience!"

- Alright, so let's be patient for a bit longer. And yeah I didn't see
any login link, maybe that will show up tomorrow. (But I ran into a
login link on some subpage, that's what didn't work for me.)

And pray that the blasted Captchas will go away! At the very least, I'd
like to see a "keep me logged in" option.

Finding things on the new web site design will presumably be difficult
for us for a while, since it's different from the old web site.
Old March 31st 21, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 4:14:33 PM UTC-4, Moshe Braner wrote:
[...]

Thanks for following up, ket us hope the growing pains don't last.
Old March 31st 21, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
richard wilkening

“ In the meantime members will not be able to log in to the site, please do not attempt to log in.â€
Old March 31st 21, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

*sigh*

First it went live in a broken state with a bad SSL certificate.

Now its live with only partial functionality.

And it looks like old functionality is being preserved on a secondary server that the new one calls out to (opening a popup or frame to access).

*AND* those of us trying to manage contests were left in the lurch as to the location of the tool for that (hint: If you had it bookmarked, replace the first part with "members.ssa.org")

*AND* even if you do figure out how to access the tool, it doesn't appear that updates made in the Contest Management tool are actually reflected on the contest calendar (which itself doesn't appear to be listing all of the events/contests).

It certainly seems like this new website is primarily a marketing effort to provide extra appeal to the public/uninformed; and a bunch of member functionality is being left in the dust or is not being redeveloped/updated simultaneously.

Finally, its *QUITE* goofy to tell people that you're testing your new website and that it will go LIVE in a few days - after it has already gone live! The definition of "going live" means making it publicly visible/available, folks. There are PLENTY of ways to test out a new site's functionality without exposing it to the public...

FWIW, I do like the new look & feel, and the responsive design looks nicer on a phone/tablet for sure. It just could've been handled so much better.

--Noel, who's been inspired to log onto RAS for the first time in 6 years by this mess

P.S. Yes I know its easy to throw stones when one hasn't been involved in the work - but there are a LOT of us soaring pilots who are in technology who could've helped or advised or offered resources... This is a very amateur-hour rollout that was totally avoidable.
Old April 1st 21, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 6:57:37 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
*sigh*

No contest scores, anywhere. sigh, indeed.

Starting home page is WAY too busy with all the background video.

When I registered the "ssa.org" domain back in 1993, never thought it would come to this....

Old April 1st 21, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

And for those of us stuck with slow internet access, it's a huge time waster. Loads like it was being carved into stone tablets.
Old April 1st 21, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 4/1/2021 10:04 AM, Guy Byars wrote:
On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 6:57:37 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
*sigh*

No contest scores, anywhere. sigh, indeed.

Starting home page is WAY too busy with all the background video.

When I registered the "ssa.org" domain back in 1993, never thought it would come to this....

FWIW, I really dislike anything on a web page that "moves" without my
asking it to. E.g., videos, or even slideshows. (And audio.) As a
casual visitor it would drive me away.

Also, the home page as it is now takes "forever" to load with my slowish
connection. That too drives me away.

My advice is to keep videos and such on other pages, behind clearly
labeled links.

If this stays as it is, I'll have to bookmark some less busy entry point
to avoid the home page. Too bad I'll miss whatever announcements will
be on the home page.

I also wonder why the state records info is now (apparently) hidden
behind the login wall. Those shouldn't be secrets withheld from the
public. On the contrary, they should be touted as examples of what can
be achieved flying sailplanes. In the old format, this section showed
very little info on the actual record flights - there should be a
(static) image showing a (small) map of the flight path along with
prominent landmarks the general public can recognize. Since the
record-keeper carefully looks over the flight log, generating such an
image would be a small extra step. (And I'm amazed so many old records
were listed without even the glider type!)

SSA web site Roger Soaring 15 April 3rd 05 05:47 PM
EAA site down? Jay Honeck Piloting 5 March 7th 05 06:12 AM
new site for creating project log and web site Rob Home Built 2 November 23rd 04 07:21 PM
See My Site Jürgen Exner Simulators 0 January 5th 04 01:37 AM
site FBI © 2003 Aviation Marketplace 0 July 7th 03 11:47 AM