Stick grip loose - help how do I attach it properly?

Old March 25th 14, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johan Pretorius

Default Stick grip loose - help how do I attach it properly?

Hi all,

Our club has a Single Astir CS Jeans - and the stick grip is getting looser by the day.

What is the right way to attach it? I could use superglue, but then it's impossible to remove it ever again, e.g. to work on the PTT cable.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Johan
Old March 26th 14, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Villinski

The old trick for motorcycle handgrips is to spray the bar with hairspray, then quickly slide the grip on. The spray lubes the bar so you can get the grip on, then cements it in place once it dries. Bond is strong enough to hold, but reversible....

Old March 26th 14, 09:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:27:04 AM UTC+1, Paul Villinski wrote:
The old trick for motorcycle handgrips is to spray the bar with hairspray, then quickly slide the grip on. The spray lubes the bar so you can get the grip on, then cements it in place once it dries. Bond is strong enough to hold, but reversible....

Just wrap the stick with electrical tape think enough that you can slide the grip on with a lot of force. If you apply the right thickness of tape, it will hold on very good, and is removable anytime with some turning and pulling.
Old March 26th 14, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Dish soap also works to lubricate and dries sticky. Not good on a
motorcycle riding in the rain, however...

Old March 26th 14, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TravisBrown73[_2_]

I had good luck w/ drywall tape (the mesh-kind) on our 102.
The tape is sticky on both sides and has enough thickness to only need one wrap on the stick to get the grip to not move. Getting the grip on was a little problematic...but it's not going anywhere, and could be undone if necessary.
~Travis
Old March 28th 14, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

Yikes! Aren't any of you guys golfers? :P

Use double sided golf re-gripping tape (eg. http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/search/gripping-supplies ). Spiral the tape down the stick for the length of the grip. Butt the sides of the tape up as you go. Trim accordingly. If one layer isn't thick enough, continue to layer until it is. Get a can of cigarette lighter fluid. After properly protecting the cockpit surfaces, douse the tape and the inside of the grip with the lighter fluid so all contacting surfaces are really wet. Quickly slide the grip on the stick and position it properly immediately. The lighter fluid will evaporate within maybe 20 seconds, so be quick and accurate. You only get one shot so do it right or you will be cutting off the grip and trying again.
Old March 28th 14, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Brayer

On Friday, March 28, 2014 10:38:07 AM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:
Yikes! Aren't any of you guys golfers? :P

Use double sided golf re-gripping tape (eg. http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/search/gripping-supplies ). Spiral the tape down the stick for the length of the grip. Butt the sides of the tape up as you go. Trim accordingly. If one layer isn't thick enough, continue to layer until it is. Get a can of cigarette lighter fluid. After properly protecting the cockpit surfaces, douse the tape and the inside of the grip with the lighter fluid so all contacting surfaces are really wet. Quickly slide the grip on the stick and position it properly immediately. The lighter fluid will evaporate within maybe 20 seconds, so be quick and accurate. You only get one shot so do it right or you will be cutting off the grip and trying again.

no, we're soaring junkies... there's no golfing on the airport!
Old March 28th 14, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Two Shoes (Judson Knowles)

They also make water soluble too, if you don't want to use lighter fluid.

Old March 29th 14, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:27:04 PM UTC-5, Paul Villinski wrote:
The old trick for motorcycle handgrips is to spray the bar with hairspray, then quickly slide the grip on. The spray lubes the bar so you can get the grip on, then cements it in place once it dries. Bond is strong enough to hold, but reversible....

I second the hairspray. I've used this method on at least a dozen motorcycle handlebars. Buy unscented. It slides on smooth and holds pretty firm once dry. The grip may later be removed by working a little WD-40 under it.