Experimental Gliders in Club and Commercial Operator Use

Old April 2nd 14, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Experimental Gliders in Club and Commercial Operator Use

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how gliders certificated EXP in the U.S. can be used by clubs and commercial operators? Specifically looking at single seat gliders, but would not mind knowing about two-seaters as well.

I'm sure I can ferret out the answers from the FARs, but figured I would plumb the knowledge out there in RAS-land first for a quick and dirty answer.

Thanks, Tim EY
Old April 2nd 14, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Tim,

I my review of the US regs, I cannot see how any experimental can be used for a COMMERCIAL operation. However there are waivers given to "crew training" that allow training of another pilot in the aircraft operations. That has been used in the past to allow flight instructors to charge for the training but the ship cannot be rented.

As to the club operation, in our club each member is a part owner of every ship and the "rental" is a maintenance fee that covers operational costs and insurance. This is not considered a commercial operation since the owner is flying the aircraft. No intro rides are given in experimental aircraft since that is a commercial operation (holding out to the public).

Hope that helps.

Mike