Flying without FAA medical or insurance

Old January 2nd 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Flying without FAA medical or insurance

"darthpup" wrote in message
ups.com...
First, you are required by FAA regulations to have a physical.
Second, in some states it is mandatory to have insurance.

If you violate both the above you would probably have your license
revoked and charged by the state for violation of the law.

Of course if you do the above and have an accident then the judical
vermin would ravage your carcass in court.

This is not really a difficult problem to consider.

Is there a pilot here who thinks he will not be caught???

He could probably fly for decades and never get caught. Fly in and out of
small Podunk strips. Doing so is much more common than many think. Same as
driving a car without a license or insurance.

Old January 2nd 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Dave Stadt" writes:

He could probably fly for decades and never get caught. Fly in and out of
small Podunk strips. Doing so is much more common than many think. Same as
driving a car without a license or insurance.

I have an ex-boss who flew IFR with years without a rating.
For all I know, he still does.

That doesn't make right....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old January 2nd 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dave Stadt wrote:
snip

This is not really a difficult problem to consider.

Is there a pilot here who thinks he will not be caught???

He could probably fly for decades and never get caught. Fly in and out of
small Podunk strips. Doing so is much more common than many think. Same as
driving a car without a license or insurance.

The great aviatrix Pancho Barnes never had a legit pilot's license
until very late in life. She had to log 20 dual and 20 solo hours and
took the PP-ASEL checkride although she already had thousands of logged
hours. She kept a log-they just weren't valid. Viktor Belenko had the
same problem, I believe- they would have honored his Soviet military
pilot card and logs, but they were back in Mother Russia, and the Sovs
weren't about to forward them! When the Wall came down they did, and he
was able to get advanced ratings-I don't know if he ever got a MiG LOA!

A lot of rural people bought airplanes cash and flew them in partial
or total disregard of regulations. Some would get dual under a student
ticket and never take the checkride. In the 60s and 70s it was well
known some would buy Bonanzas, cabin twins, you name it, file IFR and
had never had any license or ratings. There were even rumors of people
who would buy Lears cash and fly them around with anyone gullible
enough to sit in the right seat. Many others would get legal at one
point and then just quit getting medicals and BFRs and whatnot.

I'm sure there people flying in the bushes "bootleg" but if they are
going in and out of controlled fields sooner or later they are going to
run into ramp checks, or someone will put two and two together. If
you're really old or really wealthy and judgement proof you may say
WTF, but I can't imagine young people in any numbers doing this.

I'm not sure what they'd do to you today. If people are doing it in
numbers, they are getting nailed at least often enough to supply the
answer. Anyone "know"?

Old January 2nd 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Its comforting to hear such lame reasoning coming from licensed?
pilots.

Do I detect a note of lawlessness here?

Old January 2nd 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

darthpup wrote:
Its comforting to hear such lame reasoning coming from licensed?
pilots.

Do I detect a note of lawlessness here?

I haven't heard anybody advocating lawlessness, just being honest
about admitting that it exists, and admitting that people who engage
in it are unlikely to get caught. To pretend otherwise would be foolish.

Old January 2nd 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:30:38 +0000 (UTC), (Roy Smith) wrote:

For all I know, my folicles have been violated multiple
times.

And was that good for you?

ROFL...

Old January 2nd 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I said:

I have an ex-boss who flew IFR with years without a rating.
For all I know, he still does.

That doesn't make right....

Hours later, it occurs to me that a reader here might think I was
referring to a far more recent ex-boss, one who posts here.

I was not.

When I worked for Chuck, he was spending all his money on boats err
MMU's not AMU's. I don't even know if he'd been in a GA aircraft
back then.

The ex-boss I referred was long ago, before I went to engineering
school...and about 65% of Chuck's size. He fit into a Mooney.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old January 2nd 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Darthpup,

I bought my first aircraft from a little old carpenter who had
diabetes and couldn't pass the physical. He NEVER had a license or a
medical but he flew for over 20 years before ground-looping the Funk in
a crosswind (tail wheel was unlocked) and folding up a gear leg.

This was in Tulsa, Ok back where there was a real FSDO to come
inspect the incident. The FAA and the owner worked a deal out: sell the
bird and we won't press charges. I bought the thing, worked on it all
winter, and enjoyed the heck out of that thing until I sold it about 4
years later.

So, will you go to jail if you don't have a license? Maybe so
today, but not very often back in the '70s and '80s.

Old January 2nd 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"David Lesher" wrote in message
Hours later, it occurs to me that a reader here might think I was
referring to a far more recent ex-boss, one who posts here.

I was not.
The ex-boss I referred was long ago, before I went to engineering
school...and about 65% of Chuck's size. He fit into a Mooney.

And the hole just gets deeper and deeper......

Old January 2nd 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I don't think the FAA has the authority to send anyone to jail - has anybody
ever heard of being arrested by the FAA?

I don't think they have the power to confiscate airplanes either - the only
ones I have ever seen confiscated are done by US Customs or Repo men.

DB