FAA Goes after Chicago on Meigs

Old October 3rd 04, 06:21 PM
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Yes, I do. Prior to this they had an unknown liability if they did what
Daley did. Now they have a known, and very small, liability. Most people
will take a known vs. an unknown any day. Before they were still
wondering what might happen. Now they know, and they know it is a trivial
fine.

Chicago was hit with the maximum fine. Because of Meigs the fine has been
increased.

The change in fines for future violations is the only consolation from
this fiasco. Putting Daley in jail would be an excellent outcome though.

Matt

Old October 3rd 04, 07:59 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Blueskies wrote:

Which do you mean, the DNC or the RNC?

If you seriously think that the Republican party would give Daley the time of day,
you have another think coming.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 3rd 04, 08:07 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Matt Whiting wrote:

A fixed rate fine only deters the small towns and cities.

And how many cities the size of Chicago have an airport that they might reasonably
want to tear up without warning?

Although I don't agree with you on that side of it, I *do* agree that the fine should
be set up in a different fashion. Like any fixed price, inflation will eventually
render it trivial for some people, and requiring an act of Congress to increase it is
not a good idea.

Old October 3rd 04, 09:53 PM
David Lesher

Matt Whiting writes:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

The change in fines for future violations is the only consolation from
this fiasco. Putting Daley in jail would be an excellent outcome though.

Doesn't Baghdad need a mayor?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old October 3rd 04, 09:55 PM
Al Marzo

Oh well, another American that doesn't know how the game is played!

Old October 3rd 04, 10:01 PM
PaulH

1.5 million is, in Chicago, peanuts compared with the amount of
continual graft and corruption that goes on (entire state, not just
the city). The biggest potential cost is that increasing congestion
at OHare since the Meigs closure is going to give better ammunition to
the people that want to build the new airport at Peotone, outside the
city. There's a lot of maneuvering to get this done, since it opens
up an entirely new venue for corruption independent of the city. The
OHare expansion project may never get done, and Daley may have cost
the city a big airport, not a small one, in the long run.
Old October 4th 04, 12:38 AM
UltraJohn

Roy Smith wrote:

The FAA is proposing a civil penalty
of $33,000, the legal maximum, against
the city

What a joke. $33,000 may be a big fine to you or me, but to the City of
Chicago, it's chump change.

They lose more in the couch!

Old October 4th 04, 01:20 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 13:27:25 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

:
:"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
:
: Yes, I do. Prior to this they had an unknown liability if they did
what
: Daley did. Now they have a known, and very small, liability. Most
people
: will take a known vs. an unknown any day. Before they were still
: wondering what might happen. Now they know, and they know it is a
trivial
: fine.
:
:
:Chicago was hit with the maximum fine. Because of Meigs the fine has
been
:increased.

If they're serious about dealing with Chicago, they need to prevent
any expansion at O'Hare and stop construction of a third airport.

No, they don't need to prevent it, they just should not fund it.

After all, Chicago has clearly demonstrated that they don't think they
need more airport capacity.

Zackly.

Old October 4th 04, 01:20 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

The change in fines for future violations is the only consolation from
this fiasco. Putting Daley in jail would be an excellent outcome though.

On what charge?

Old October 4th 04, 01:54 AM
bryan chaisone

That's good to hear George. Where did you hear/read that from? I
hope this will help dicourage any future incidents. There are less
and less places to land anymore. I'm glad I fly helos too! I better
declare/register a heliport on my property soon, before it gets hard
to do.

Bryan "Formerly known as 'The Monk'" Chaisone

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
Matt Whiting wrote:

bryan chaisone wrote:

Better late than never. A little is better than nothing.

I have to disagree and agree with the other poster who said this will
only encourage others. If they can get out of having to return all of
the federal airport funds and close and unwanted airport for a mere $30K
fine, then this is a great deal for them.

If a city tries it today, the fine is $900,000.