Garmin 496 Training

Old November 14th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
John Theune

Default Garmin 496 Training

Kobra wrote:
I was thinking of upgrading my 396 to the 496 and bought VFlite's
Interactive Guide to see the new features in action. It was very helpful,
but I just don't think there are enough new features (taxi guidance, AOPA
database, etc.) to justify the price tag.

I am offering the course on eBay at: http://tinyurl.com/vfruy

for 9 dollars if anyone else is interested.

I hope the 596 has a touch screen, full IFR approaches, MEA's and approach
altitudes. Then I'll trade up instantly.

Kobra

Not very likely. Since none of those items can be used in a handheld
GPS ( legally, discounting touch screen ) why would Garmin put them in?
Old November 14th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Sam Spade

Kobra wrote:
I was thinking of upgrading my 396 to the 496 and bought VFlite's
Interactive Guide to see the new features in action. It was very helpful,
but I just don't think there are enough new features (taxi guidance, AOPA
database, etc.) to justify the price tag.

I am offering the course on eBay at: http://tinyurl.com/vfruy

for 9 dollars if anyone else is interested.

I hope the 596 has a touch screen, full IFR approaches, MEA's and approach
altitudes. Then I'll trade up instantly.

Kobra

My Garmin 195 has full IFR approaches. Garmin figured out later that
wasn't a good idea.
Old November 14th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
John Theune

Frank Stutzman wrote:
In rec.aviation.ifr Sam Spade wrote:

My Garmin 195 has full IFR approaches. Garmin figured out later that
wasn't a good idea.

Uhhh, its been a while since I've looked at the IFR stuff on my 195, but I
don't think it has full approaches. The final approach course, yes, but
thats far from a 'full' approach.

I don't have another handheld GPS so I don't know what Garmin did on the
later models.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

I had a 195 ( but no longer ) and as I recall your right it was the
extended center line that was depicted, not the entire approach.

Old November 14th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Jay Honeck

I hope the 596 has a touch screen, full IFR approaches, MEA's and approach
altitudes. Then I'll trade up instantly.

And a bigger screen that can be displayed in portrait mode! Without
that, I'll never buy another Garmin.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Nathan Young

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:45:28 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman
wrote:

In rec.aviation.ifr Sam Spade wrote:

My Garmin 195 has full IFR approaches. Garmin figured out later that
wasn't a good idea.

Uhhh, its been a while since I've looked at the IFR stuff on my 195, but I
don't think it has full approaches. The final approach course, yes, but
thats far from a 'full' approach.

I don't have another handheld GPS so I don't know what Garmin did on the
later models.

The 295 allows you to select the approach, and then fly 'vectors' to
intercept the final approach course. Or you can select direct to the
fix preceding the runway (for example the OM on an ILS), then the GPS
autosequences to the RW approach end as the final fix.

It does not have missed approach procedures.

I am not sure about vertical guidance. I have seen the 'glideslope'
needle on the GPS' HSI, but I don't know if it is actually tied to the
correct heights for each segment of an approach, or if it is providing
something more simplistic, like a 3deg glideslope.

Old November 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
The Visitor

Jay Honeck wrote:

And a bigger screen that can be displayed in portrait mode! Without
that, I'll never buy another Garmin.

Yeah, what he said.

John

Old November 15th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Kobra

Not very likely. Since none of those items can be used in a handheld GPS
( legally, discounting touch screen ) why would Garmin put them in?

They most certainly can be used legally!! Just not as PRIMARY navigation
guidance.

Why did Garmin put the FAF to the MAP guidance of an IFR approach in their
handheld GPS's? It's just as illegal to use this information as primary
guidance under an IFR flight plan as it would be to use the IAF to the FAF
and to use any holding depictions or course reversals.

My take is that they know people use the handhelds in IFR conditions under
an IFR flight plan as *backup* situational awareness while on the approach.
So if they're going to give you right-left guidance, why not up-down
guidance for backup situational awareness? Same goes for the MEA's

Kobra

Old November 15th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

And a bigger screen that can be displayed in portrait mode! Without
that, I'll never buy another Garmin.

You should be so lucky as to have a choice.

Garmin's competitors are a bunch of weenies.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM