Any plans-built "RV equivalents" out there?

Old March 7th 05, 10:11 PM
Montblack

(AllTheGoodUseridsAreGone wrote)
Apart from the "Metal" requirement, you've described the Vision
plans-built. (It's composite.) See http://www.visionaircraft.com

Their website quickly grew rather tiresome. Hope their plane is better
designed than that darn web page. http://www.visionaircraft.com

Montblack

Old March 7th 05, 11:12 PM
Netgeek

"Charlie" wrote in message
.. .
If you can revise your cruise requirements downward slightly, you might
look at the Sonex.

Charlie

Yep, I looked long and hard at the Sonex - a great little plane! The info
pack and
especially the flying video with Tony Spicer are compelling. However, by
all
accounts the Sonex is a "sport plane" (and apparently a very good one!) but
many
builders/flyers (and the factory) note that it's "neutrally stable" and not
really made
for cross-country. That's not meant to be critical - it's actually an
attribute for its'
intended mission - just doesn't fit my needs since I'm really looking for
economical
distance travelling...8-(

I'm really up against what I'm sure many of you have gone through - and that
is the
requirements of She Who Must Be Obeyed 8-)... I'm thinking along the lines
of
Beech Sundowner for comfort and simplicity but with an extra 40-50 knots -
she's
thinking Business Class on Cathay Pacific. A compromise is going to be
difficult!

Bill

Old March 7th 05, 11:22 PM
Netgeek

"John Oliveira" wrote in message
If you can afford it, write vans the check. You won't be sorry.

John Oliveira

"AINut" wrote in message
Look at the Mustang II, like we have. URL for the company he
http://www.mustangaero.com/

Kits or plans.

The Mustang looks really interesting - more than I need in terms of
performance
and looks like it would take a LONG time to build - but that's okay. Seems
anything worthwhile WILL take forever.

I wish Vans had something more of a "mixed" approach - i.e. fabricate what
you
want and buy the rest "ala carte" - but if that doesn't fit their business
model, so be
it - I can understand that.

I'll keep thinking it over - but it would be good therapy if I could at
least bend up
some used beer cans in the meantime 8-)...

Actually, the "perfect" solution (to keep the wife happy) would probably be
Canadair CRJ-200 converted for private use with a "tastefully redone
interior".

Meanwhile, I'll start bending some parts soon (likely for the Mustang) just
to keep
busy....

Thanks for all the input!

Netgeek wrote:
I've been searching quite a bit for something equivalent or similar to

an
RV-9 but
available as a plans-built. So far - no luck (seems that Van has done
too
good a
job 8-)...

Basic requirements are - well - same as an RV-9: Metal, 2-seat (not
tandem),
power from O-200/O-235/IO-240/O-320 - minimum cruise around 150-175mph,
range approximately 500-600 NM+, very stable (non-aerobatic)

Anybody here know of such a thing - or is it time to write Van a check
8-)...?

Thanks for any input.
Bill

Old March 8th 05, 02:28 AM
ET

"Netgeek" wrote in
:

"Charlie" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You should fly in a Sonex before you dismiss it. A Sonex with a Jab
3300 cruises near 160mph. I don't think a RV-9 is even possitively
stable. A Sonex is very easy to fly, you can hold the stick between
your knees for a bit if nessasary and you could easily ignore the rudder
except for landing in crosswinds.

How long distance is your distance?

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old March 8th 05, 03:02 AM
Charlie

"AINut" wrote in message

[...]

Apologies for the convoluted order of posts....

If your requirements include non-acro/very stable, the M-II really ain't
your plane.

I haven't flown a -9, but I have flown several -4's (currently own one),
-6's & an -8. I've also flown several M-II's & Thorps. All have more or
less neutral stability. They are all great flying planes but aren't
designed for your mission.

The -9A was designed from the beginning for pilots with no tailwheel
time & limited experience in trainers like C-150's Pipers, etc. It's
reported to be much more stable than the other RV's & rumor in the RV
world is that all the Van's employees take the -9A on trips if they get
to pick.

How about the long winged Sonex? (But you really should just write that
check to Van's. Unless you are a consummate scrounger, you'll likely
spend very nearly as much for a scratch built plane before you are done
& believe me, there's plenty left to do with a kit.)

Charlie

Old March 8th 05, 03:19 AM
Dave Hyde

ET wrote...

I don't think a RV-9 is even possitively stable.

It is, as long as the CG is within limits.

Dave 'stick fixed and stick free' Hyde

Old March 8th 05, 04:07 AM
Netgeek

"Charlie" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well, I certainly appreciate all the input from you guys! Looks like
we're back to square one. By that I mean - in looking around, the
RV9 seemed like the perfect plane for what I'd like to do and the
mission - was hoping I could find a plans-built equivalent that would
allow me to "sneak up on it" and start small (and cheap). The Sonex
was tempting - but realistically is meant for something else. The M-II
is probably more slippery, higher performance, and with a longer build
time than I'd hoped (but what a great plane!).

So, I'm back where I started - the RV-9 looks like the right plane
for my needs (and lack of talent - in both piloting and building 8-)...

I guess Van is going to get a check after all. I did read somewhere
exactly what Charlie said - the RV9 is the most stable platform that
Van has offered, great for IFR (even though that's not my intent for
now). So, time to bite the bullet, fatten up the piggy-bank and face
the inevitable - although that's not too onerous 8-)...

Thanks again!

Bill - Probably a future RV9 builder.................

Old March 8th 05, 04:39 AM
Dave Hyde

Netgeek wrote...

So, I'm back where I started - the RV-9 looks like the right plane
for my needs (and lack of talent - in both piloting and building 8-)...

As has been posted already, the -9 plans might be sufficient for
scratch-building one. The -4 plans are (or were when I got mine).
If you think you lack building skills, however, be advised that
scratch building one requires alot more skill than building
from a kit. The initial parts cost is less, but you'll almost
certainly screw up more parts, and it's going to take a LOT
longer.

Dave 'my kit took long enough' Hyde

RV-4 N416RV, first flight 21 Jan 04.

Old March 8th 05, 05:12 AM
Netgeek

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
As has been posted already, the -9 plans might be sufficient for

scratch-building one. The -4 plans are (or were when I got mine).
If you think you lack building skills, however, be advised that
scratch building one requires alot more skill than building
from a kit. The initial parts cost is less, but you'll almost
certainly screw up more parts, and it's going to take a LOT
longer.

I think the decision has been pretty much made - to build an
RV9 from a kit. My delusions about building from plans have been
pretty well shattered for now - maybe next time (in a different life).
Even so - I'll bet a few beers that it will take me longer than most
others and I'll figure out how to to screw it up better than most 8-).

Time will tell - fortunately I've got lots of time (I think - and hope!).

Old March 8th 05, 05:21 AM
Morgans

"Netgeek" wrote

Yep, I looked long and hard at the Sonex - a great little plane! The info
pack and
especially the flying video with Tony Spicer are compelling. However, by
all
accounts the Sonex is a "sport plane" (and apparently a very good one!)

but
many
builders/flyers (and the factory) note that it's "neutrally stable" and

not
really made
for cross-country.

Slap an autopilot in it, for less than $2000, and it would be "real" stable.
--
Jim in NC

want to trade 601 plans for 701 plans [email protected] Home Built 0 January 27th 05 07:50 PM
Unused plans question Doc Font Home Built 0 December 8th 04 09:16 PM
Modifying Vision plans for retractable gear... Chris Home Built 1 February 27th 04 09:23 PM
Plans Built Glider Jim Culp Soaring 6 September 8th 03 10:14 AM
Plans Built Glider? Eggs Soaring 3 September 6th 03 10:21 PM