Oshkosh camping

Old June 11th 05, 02:29 PM
RST Engineering

That would have been 1995 ... the year Gail and I met at Oshkosh. As I
recall, we had trouble sleeping also ... but probably not for the same
reason {;-)

Jim

There was an OSH a few years ago that generated some I Survived Oshkosh _
_
_ _ t-shirts. Don't recall the year?

Old June 11th 05, 02:57 PM

Airport closes just before sunset at about 1900. Period. DO NOT try to
extricate yourself from a parking spot and find a runway in the dark
with literally thousands of people lounging, walking, relaxing or
milling about. It is an accident waiting to happen. We used to try and
park aircraft in the dark in the bad old days, and it was not worth the
risk to anyone. If you want to leave, wait until the am and leave when
the airport reopens just after sunrise.

Regards,
Ryan
Madison, WI
Co-Chairman, EAA Flight Line Operations

Tedstriker wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:53:26 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Tedstriker" wrote in message

it it the top of my tent.

If it's muggy all night, I might
just blast off and fly my homebuilt somewhere and get an air
conditioned hotel room.

Gotta leave by 19:00, so you have to decide well before then. Also, you
might arrive the next day, to find that the field is full. I wouldn't risk
it, if it were me, for the seldom problem of not cooling off at night.

Do they close the airport to departues at 19:00? or is that just how
soon to leave to get somewhere else before dark?

that woud be a bummer if one left by air, to go to a hotel, then
couldn't get back in to the fly-in. But I don't think I'll have that
problem, being in a homebuilt/showplane. They usually want all those
they can get. And mine qualifies for that front and center parking
area they've reserved for past champions, and those with over a
thousand hours total time. Mine has about 1,650.

Old June 11th 05, 05:38 PM
Matt Whiting

Tedstriker wrote:

For anyone that has actually slept in a tent at OSH, does it cool off
enough at night to sleep comfortably? If it's muggy all night, I might
just blast off and fly my homebuilt somewhere and get an air
conditioned hotel room. My plane is fast, so even if I have to go as
far as Milwalkee, it's no big deal. I just don't want to make
reservations, then have to deal with not being able to make it due to
weather enroute from SC. If I wait around until it's dark, and late,
then find out it's too hot to sleep well, im stuck in misery, misery
misery. Sweating all night.

The two nights I camped there the evening temps were in the upper 60s
and very comfortable. The third night, it thunderstormed and blew down
many tents. Fortunately, I was in the dorms that night! :-)

Also, I was lucky in that my tent didn't get blown down, but it was one
of few that survived. I think it was the rail road spikes that I use
for tent pegs that helped. My friend was kidding me about the weight
when we loaded the Skylane as I carry them in an ammo box and the box
weighs probably 25 lbs. However, when we got to the grounds that
morning and saw my tent stil standing strong and saw the other people
setting up their tents, drying out their sleeping bags, etc., he stopped
kidding me about my tent pegs.

Flying in and out each day probably isn't a bad option, but when the
traffic is heavy, you may spend a while getting in and out each time.
Hard to be an air conditioned hotel room though in the summer in OSH.

Matt
Old June 11th 05, 05:41 PM
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:

That would have been 1995 ... the year Gail and I met at Oshkosh. As I
recall, we had trouble sleeping also ... but probably not for the same
reason {;-)

Yes, 1995 had some wicked storms. Uh, Jim, that isn't called sleeping. :-)

Matt
Old June 12th 05, 12:37 AM
Cy Galley

The Tower and field closes at 8 P.M. according to the NOTAM

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair - for 34 years!

Old June 12th 05, 01:09 AM
Morgans

"Tedstriker" wrote

Do they close the airport to departues at 19:00? or is that just how
soon to leave to get somewhere else before dark?

Yes, the airport is closed to arrivals and departures.

that woud be a bummer if one left by air, to go to a hotel, then
couldn't get back in to the fly-in. But I don't think I'll have that
problem, being in a homebuilt/showplane. They usually want all those
they can get. And mine qualifies for that front and center parking
area they've reserved for past champions, and those with over a
thousand hours total time. Mine has about 1,650.

Yea, you will have a parking spot, but I don't know where people that come
with showplanes, sleep.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 12th 05, 01:56 AM
Morgans

"Cy Galley" wrote in message newsBKqe.37615

The Tower and field closes at 8 P.M. according to the NOTAM

Damn, I hate it when my memory goes to hell!

I should have looked it up, rather than relying on memory. Sorry, OP.
--
Jim in NC
Old June 12th 05, 05:21 AM
Roger

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:44:43 -0400, Ron Natalie
wrote:

Roger wrote:

BTW, what color is your Navion, Ron?

Dark blue. There hare pictures on Honeck's web site
or http://www.margynatalie.com

When I was going through the Oshkosh photos the other night I came
across some that were shot near dark with the pyrotechnic displays
(bomb runs) and there is one of a guy standing in a Navion watching
the display, but as I recall that one was mostly white with blue trim.
It would have been parked to the East and just north of the Quonset
hut "as I recall".

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old June 12th 05, 06:27 AM
Roger

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:09:37 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Tedstriker" wrote

Do they close the airport to departues at 19:00? or is that just how
soon to leave to get somewhere else before dark?

Yes, the airport is closed to arrivals and departures.

that woud be a bummer if one left by air, to go to a hotel, then
couldn't get back in to the fly-in. But I don't think I'll have that
problem, being in a homebuilt/showplane. They usually want all those
they can get. And mine qualifies for that front and center parking
area they've reserved for past champions, and those with over a
thousand hours total time. Mine has about 1,650.

Yea, you will have a parking spot, but I don't know where people that come
with showplanes, sleep.

Show plane camping which is (or was) the same area as the
Antique/Classic/Contemporary.

I've seen many a spot reserved in there, so I suppose you could stake
out your spot, and come back to it. A Cozy parked next to me did that
twice. They had a nice air conditioned room at a friends place about
a half hour flight out.

Me? I just don't enjoy flying that Ripon Arrival. I don't mind flying
close to other airplanes, but I want it to be with some one I know
well doing the flying. At least the Deb has a wide speed range and a
low stall speed coupled with relatively light wing loading.

I've never had a problem getting out, BUT you have to be ready to
leave at the end of the air show. That means packed up, with the
plane pulled out into the space between the rows. You have to wait
for the ground crew to spot you and then guide you to the taxiway. No
engine starting until the ground crew tells you to start. That is
done with the plane pulled out into the area between the rows of
planes and pointed parallel to the rows so you don't blow any one away
when you do start. the year it was so hot and dry, you couldn't see
more than about 50 feet behind me when I started the Deb. It took
darn near two pails of water to wash the windows before leaving.

I file IFR, but usually put the pink sheet of paper on the floor and
depart VFR.

If you are nice and polite and contact the ground crew ahead of time
and are ready to go as soon as the field opens you can be one of the
first out.

Early on you don't have the rush to get out as you do on Saturday and
Sunday. You need to have your shh... er ... stuff together, radios on
frequency, watch the flag men, and be ready to do what you are told,
when you are told and it'll run smooth as clock work.

They are usually either two or three deep at the hold and two abreast.
They alternate left and right sides. When they say go, you firewall
it and had out. Depending on speed watch for passing traffic or being
passed. If departure is on 36 that right turn just before the tower
can be interesting if you are on the left. :-)) You do learn to
"stay on your side of the runway" until about time to turn.