Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 15th 05, 03:35 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article fvg7e.11984$GJ.11256@attbi_s71, Jay Honeck wrote:
Americans. For some odd reason, the French just go "Se la vie" and

shrug
their shoulders.

It's "C'est la vie" - and if you think that, you don't know the French
well at all. They are famous for shutting down the country if they don't
get what they want. French people generally are also fairly left-wing;
they aren't US Republicans.

I only feel bad for the common men who gaze skyward, fruitlessly. What

shame.

Generally, they don't. They just fly planes that burn less fuel.

Could you provide some numbers to support that cliam? I mean, what
percentage of the populous are pilots?, that sort of thing?

Why must so many threads in this NG turn into vitriolic political rants?

Like the "foreigners" that whine that their gas is so expensive (hey,
they're all democracies), but they are so much better than the US?

Old April 15th 05, 03:46 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
It's "C'est la vie" - and if you think that, you don't know the French
well at all. They are famous for shutting down the country if they don't
get what they want.

So, to sum up, what you're saying is that the French people simply don't
value general aviation enough not to tax it out of existence?

I only feel bad for the common men who gaze skyward, fruitlessly.

What
shame.

Generally, they don't. They just fly planes that burn less fuel.

They would have to fly a plane that burned less than half the gas of a
Cessna 152 for French students to be on even keel with their American
counterparts. I'm not sure I know of any certified trainers that burn

just
2 - 4 gallons per hour?

And the fact that France is about 600 miles across it's longest
girth...about from Denver to Kansas City. Just not that far to go.

Old April 15th 05, 04:22 PM
Newps

They also shut the country down during lunch time ;-)
Good idea by the way.

And all of August.

Old April 15th 05, 07:24 PM
Martin Hotze

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:31:43 +0000 (UTC), G Farris wrote:

He said (I
paraphrase) "France is basically an agricultural society, so French understand
that it can't rain every day, and that a good year is likely to be followed by
a poorer year, hence their conservatism - Americans slaughtered the Indians
and that explains everything you need to know about them".

well, even here many people say that the French are somewhat self centered.
AFAIK not really many are happy speaking a foreign language, they also try
to find French words for new technology terms (that we speak in english in
our language).

Many French really believe that blacks are not admitted to US hospitals, and

yep, there are stupid people everywhere.

if you check in with ten bullets in the chest, but don't have cash to pay
they throw you back out in the alley to bleed. At the same time, they will
tell you their health care is "free"

there is no such thing like a free lunch. many people see it as "free" if
it is a service brought to you by the state (who finances all these things
through taxes).

- they don't seem to worry about the fact
that a flat-rate 21% comes off every paycheck

this depends and varies from state to state. this is a rather complex and
IMHO hard to explain. But I'll try if someone is interested (and if I have
the chance to be not lost in translation *doh*)

- even the poorest - to pay for

NACK

we have a thing that is called 'negative tax'

it and it's still running up colossal deficits.

yes, it is. and we lose social services and have to co-pay more and more.
and less services are paid by social security (varies from state to state
and from security agency to security agency; we in Austria have close to
30).

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg
Old April 15th 05, 07:29 PM
Martin Hotze

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:17:52 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

Yikes! I hope you have wonderful, um, whatever, for all that money.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you can legally buy pot there ... :-)

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg
Old April 15th 05, 11:20 PM
Nils Rostedt

"Jay Honeck" wrote ...
I only feel bad for the common men who gaze skyward, fruitlessly. What
shame.

Generally, they don't. They just fly planes that burn less fuel.

They would have to fly a plane that burned less than half the gas of a
Cessna 152 for French students to be on even keel with their American
counterparts. I'm not sure I know of any certified trainers that burn
just 2 - 4 gallons per hour?
--
Jay Honeck

Have a look at the multitude of airplanes that use the Rotax 912 or 912S
engine. The Diamond Katana is probably the best known in the US among the
certified breed.

But in addition there is the European ultralight (or microlight) category,
which is not to be confused with US ultralights - it's very similar to the
new US Light Sport Aircraft, albeit a little lighter (about 1100 lb vs. 1400
lb). Thousands of fly-for-fun pilots in Europe enjoy those planes, with one
or two seats and a Rotax or Jabiru up front.

The cost crunch hits hardest in the four-to-six person "transportational"
aircraft category. The European solution is the diesel engine, as seen on
the Diamond DA40 Star.

/ Nils

Old April 16th 05, 01:51 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Makes you wonder how people so dunder-headed ever spawned men like
Bleriot...

"Jay Honeck" writes:

And I would much prefer to interact with someone who can make a point
without resorting to personal attacks

I guess sterotyping and insulting entire countries is A-OK...
Old April 16th 05, 01:55 AM
Bob Fry

Dylan Smith writes:

Why must so many threads in this NG turn into vitriolic political rants?

Because one very ignorant poster repeatedly insults large blocks of
people by country of origin.
Old April 16th 05, 02:01 AM
G Farris

Where do you fly in Austria?
Send me an e-mail - remove the $GAS from below :

Old April 16th 05, 02:32 AM
Morgans

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
Dylan Smith writes:

Why must so many threads in this NG turn into vitriolic political rants?

Because one very ignorant poster repeatedly insults large blocks of
people by country of origin.

Why don't you just filter him out, if his ignorance bothers you so?

By responding, it just fuels the fire.
--
Jim in NC

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 06:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM