Flaps on take-off and landing

Old September 19th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default Renting vs Owning (was Flaps on take-off and landing)

Marc,

Interesting. How do you arrive at 100 hrs/yr?

A rule of thumb. There's a ton of articles and books comparing the cost
of owning and renting. Since all the fixed costs of owning (hangar
rent, insurance et cetera) go down per flight hour the more you fly (as
opposed to the cost per hour, mainly fuel, oil, maintenance), the total
cost per hour goes down the more you fly. At about 100 hours per year,
the profit an FBO makes starts to show itself in a substantial way
compared to the cost of owning.

Oh, and flying 100 hours per year is A LOT for most recreational
pilots.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 19th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Margy Natalie writes:

That's the same as saying I can't afford to own a car because who would
want a POS Audi when a Rolls is really the only choice!

I see no parallel.

You seem to want everyone to think flying is only for the rich
and famous, when in reality it's for anyone who wants to make
it a reality.

Like owning a home. Of course, lots of people aren't ever going to
own a home, because they just don't have the means.

Who would want a 747, they are old and big and lumber
through the skies.

I'd prefer a 737.

BTW Travolta used to have a Connie, now that was a cool plane.

He has moved up, then.

Old September 19th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Margy Natalie writes:

I think you are being overly sensitive.

I am refractory to personal attacks, but that does not prevent me from
recognizing them, and they are not germane to the discussion.

Old September 19th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave Doe writes:

Please define extremely expensive.

More expensive than a car.

Here in NZ, it costs a couple hundred to get a medical, and say $150/hr
to fly a plane ("wet" cost, ie you don't pay extra for fuel etc).

Last month I cleared $647.

Old September 19th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

How would you know?

By watching them, or riding in them.

Old September 19th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Steve Foley writes:

How would you know?

By watching them, or riding in them.

Your ignorance is showing again. You better lookup 'normal category'

Old September 19th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

You better lookup 'normal category'

Where?

Old September 19th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Dave Doe writes:

Please define extremely expensive.

More expensive than a car.

I know plenty of people who have spent more on their car than I have on my
plane, so I guess you're wrong again.

Here in NZ, it costs a couple hundred to get a medical, and say $150/hr
to fly a plane ("wet" cost, ie you don't pay extra for fuel etc).

Last month I cleared $647.

Sucks to be you. Get a job.

Old September 19th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Steve Foley writes:

You better lookup 'normal category'

Where?

Try the FAA. It's probably not on your Microsoft CD.

Old September 19th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

Try the FAA. It's probably not on your Microsoft CD.

The FAA publishes a lot of documentation. Which document did you have
in mind?