Flaps on take-off and landing

Old September 20th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Dave Stadt writes:

I spent a month in Paris on business some years back and I fully understand
why jobs have left the country.

Paris is in much better shape than most cities. The phenomenon is
worldwide and has nothing to do with specific metropolitan areas.

Old September 21st 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Dave Stadt writes:

I spent a month in Paris on business some years back and I fully
understand
why jobs have left the country.

Paris is in much better shape than most cities. The phenomenon is
worldwide and has nothing to do with specific metropolitan areas.

It has everything to do with employee ethics and labor laws. France falls
short on all accounts. It is not a world wide phenomeon.

Old September 21st 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Stefan wrote:
Margy Natalie schrieb:

Why would I want to ride in a Greyhound bus when I can drive my Audi?

Because you can relax and read a book instead of having to drive?

Stefan

Only if it's in traffic. I will take the Metro rather than drive into
DC during rush hour, but I'll drive on the weekends. I still don't
think I would deal with Greyhound. I'd rather fly the Navion rather
than take the airlines, so when we go to NC it's in the Navion (or even
the Audi), but to CA it's the airlines.

Margy
Old September 21st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:57:15 -0400, Margy Natalie
wrote:

I think you are being overly sensitive. Many of the things you say are
a "common complaint you've heard ..." are absolutely UNTRUE. I'm SHORT,
in a 172 I use a booster seat, but not in the Navion. I can see

You should see Joyce in the Deb. She can not reach the floor with her
feet and on top of that uses the booster seat so she can see over the
nose.
OTOH The Deb has fantastic visibility in the air although I'd guess
the Navion has better visibility.

One of the reasons we got the Navion is that it was one of VERY few
aircraft that both Ron (6'1") and I (5'2", when I round UP) could fly.
With the new interior (new foam too) I don't even use the booster seat
anymore :-),

Margy
Old September 21st 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
Thomas Borchert writes:

Have you been there? The city is full of a) cars parked by the roadside
and b) parking garages.

There are eleven million people in the metropolitan area. Six million
of them are transported daily by public transportation. The cars one
sees represent only a minority of the population.

But does that mean they have no car? Here in the DC area MANY people
drive to the closest park and ride to be transported daily by public
transportation.

Margy
Old September 21st 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Default Renting vs Owning (was Flaps on take-off and landing)

Marc Adler wrote:
Margy Natalie wrote:

It's great to own (cheaper to rent unless you fly 100 hrs/yr)

Interesting. How do you arrive at 100 hrs/yr?

Marc

That's considered about the average break even point. We try not to
count up how much we spend on flying, it makes it easier for us :-).

Margy
Old September 21st 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Margy Natalie writes:

But does that mean they have no car?

For people living in the city proper, yes, it generally does. There's
no place to put a car without spending a lot on a garage, and
everything about a car is expensive, and public transportation is
superlative.

Here in the DC area MANY people
drive to the closest park and ride to be transported daily by public
transportation.

There's no comparison between public transit in DC and that in Paris.

Old September 21st 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave Stadt writes:

It has everything to do with employee ethics and labor laws. France falls
short on all accounts. It is not a world wide phenomeon.

I know of many companies that are doing this worldwide (at least
throughout the developed world). Some of them are firing essentially
everyone except top management.

Old September 21st 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Larry,

Suffice it to say, automobile ownership in Paris (and France, and
indeed Europe) is no where near mandatory as it is in the US.

Agreed.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 21st 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

and
everything about a car is expensive