Gone West...

Old January 10th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
David Kazdan

Default Gone West...

She's Catherine Cavagnaro, chairman of the math department at the
University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee (the university owns the
airport and the rest of the town).

Kershner's only affiliation with University of Iowa was that their press
published his books until recently.

My wife and I took ground school from him early October and flew with
Catherine. It was a terrific experience. Kershner had stopped in-air
instruction a few months earlier and was ill, but he did a fine job with
the classroom instruction. It was a great pleasure working with him and
getting to know him a little. Catherine takes the flying and
instructing very seriously and I'm sure that she will indeed take the
torch from her mentor and carry it forward.

David

Dudley Henriques wrote:
She probably teaches at Iowa State.
Dudley Henriques

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

I own at least one copy of each of Bill's books. Bill brought a very
useful
and valuable point of view and methodology to instructing. Many students
"need" numbers, their minds require the numerics and physics behind the
maneuver before they understand and accept the maneuver. Bill provided
this. I for one am and forever will be indebted to him for this alone.
Jim

I agree.
Bill's books made it possible for instructors to couple technical
information with creative teaching to present that information on levels
all students could understand.
His input to aviation will long be remembered by those of us who
benefited from his contribution.
Dudley Henriques

The good thing is that I recall reading an article recently about a woman
who was teaching along-side Bill and it sounded like she might keep things
going where he left off. I can't now remember where I read this, but it
seems like she was a college professor or some such, but was teaching
flying on the side. It sure would be nice for someone to carry on what he
started.

Matt

Old January 10th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques

That's good to know. Having the chair of the Math Dept. at her level means a
dedicated personality :-)
It's good someone will be carrying on the fine work Bill has done.
Dudley Henriques

et...

Old January 10th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Stan Prevost[_1_]

The last time I saw Bill's Aerobat, it was at my home field for annual. I
understand it is going to the Smithsonian.

"Jim" wrote in message
'Spin Doctor' Bill Kershner dies at 77

Pilot, flight instructor, and aviation author William K. Kershner, 77,
died
January 8 in Sewanee, Tennessee, after a prolonged battle with cancer.

He soloed an Aeronca Defender from Clarksville, Tennessee's Outlaw Field -
grass strip at the time - in 1945 at age 16. After four years flying
Corsairs in the Navy, Kershner worked as a corporate pilot, flight-test
pilot, and special assistant to William T. Piper Sr., then president of
Piper Aircraft. With the help of his wife, Betty - who typed his
handwritten
manuscripts - Kershner authored and illustrated a series of five highly
regarded flight manuals; his Student Pilot's Flight Manual alone has sold
more than 1 million copies.

Kershner contributed often to AOPA publications, including AOPA Pilot and
AOPA Flight Training. More than 8,000 spins...

Old January 10th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques

"Stan Prevost" wrote in message
The last time I saw Bill's Aerobat, it was at my home field for annual. I
understand it is going to the Smithsonian.

I hope so. I kidded him once about him being the only pilot alive who could
make that airplane look good doing a maneuver :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old January 10th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Jim,

sad news. I've read his student manual so many times...

It seems he lived a full life, though - and he'll be remembered.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 10th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bob Gardner

I was privileged to talk to Bill on the phone several times. When he was
contemplating moving his books to ASA, he called to ask for my take on the
folks at ASA. Wouldn't leave Tennessee, though...everything had to be done
through the mail. He sent me a full set of his books and I did the same for
him. He was a softspoken true gentleman, and he will be missed.

Bob Gardner

Old January 11th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
David Kazdan

I made the mistake of asking Catherine if she had had the chance to fly
a more real aerobatic plane than the 152. She looked at my with
indignation: "Are you casting aspersions on my Wilbur?" (Kershner's was
Orville)

Old January 11th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques

The Bat is a wonderful ego equalizer for folks climbing out of a Pitts or
something with the performance of a Pitts.
It's like flying a whale!! :-))

Old January 11th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
houstondan

aerobatics in a cessna or citabria-type ship are much more elegant.
ain't no snappin a 30-foot wingspan on a little light craft like that.

dan

Old January 11th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques

"houstondan" wrote in message
oups.com...
aerobatics in a cessna or citabria-type ship are much more elegant.
ain't no snappin a 30-foot wingspan on a little light craft like that.

dan

Actually, snaps are very good in both the Citabria and the Aerobat and
represent their "best" capability in the acro environment. It's the roll
rate that's the "problem" with these two airplanes. The drag in roll is so
great you need a disproportionate amount of vertical space to execute
anything in roll that even comes close to looking good. But if you learn to
use the airplanes correctly in that environment, you can at least make it
look "passable" :-)
Dudley Henriques