Help interpreting an approach chart (KCCR LDA Rwy 19R)

Old November 2nd 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

Default Help interpreting an approach chart (KCCR LDA Rwy 19R)

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...5320LDA19R.PDF

Suppose I am approaching the KANAN NDB IAF from the south, maintaining
2500', which nav aid do I use to track 001 deg outbound? When I first
looked at the chart I assumed it would be the CCR VOR 001 radial, but
on closer examination it looks like I should be tracking from the
KANAN NDB.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 2nd 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Doug Carter

On 2007-11-02, Terence Wilson wrote:
http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...5320LDA19R.PDF

Suppose I am approaching the KANAN NDB IAF from the south, maintaining
2500', which nav aid do I use to track 001 deg outbound?

The localizer I-CCR on 108.5
Old November 2nd 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Terence Wilson" wrote in message
http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...5320LDA19R.PDF

Suppose I am approaching the KANAN NDB IAF from the south, maintaining
2500', which nav aid do I use to track 001 deg outbound? When I first
looked at the chart I assumed it would be the CCR VOR 001 radial, but
on closer examination it looks like I should be tracking from the
KANAN NDB.

I'd use the localizer.

Old November 2nd 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Terence Wilson wrote:
http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...5320LDA19R.PDF

Suppose I am approaching the KANAN NDB IAF from the south, maintaining
2500', which nav aid do I use to track 001 deg outbound?

I would use the localizer, just as I would inbound to the airport.

Don't forget the reverse sensing.

Old November 2nd 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee[_2_]

Terence Wilson wrote:
http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...5320LDA19R.PDF

Suppose I am approaching the KANAN NDB IAF from the south, maintaining
2500', which nav aid do I use to track 001 deg outbound? When I first
looked at the chart I assumed it would be the CCR VOR 001 radial, but
on closer examination it looks like I should be tracking from the
KANAN NDB.

Thanks in advance.

The localizer outbound. The chart would make it clear if some other nav
aid were to be used outbound.

Example ILS at Knoxbille, requires VOR outbound:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0711/00218IL23R.PDF
Old November 2nd 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon

"Terence Wilson" wrote in message
http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...5320LDA19R.PDF

Suppose I am approaching the KANAN NDB IAF from the south, maintaining
2500', which nav aid do I use to track 001 deg outbound? When I first
looked at the chart I assumed it would be the CCR VOR 001 radial, but
on closer examination it looks like I should be tracking from the
KANAN NDB.

I would use the localizer. That said, there a couple of things that are
confusing. CCR looks like it's depicted as a bit west of the localizer. I'm
assuming it is to scale since it is within the plan view's circle. However,
JOANS intersection is on the localizer but it is identified as being 8.1
miles on the DME from CCR. Usually when an intersection is identified using
an off route VOR, there's some sort of reference line that is thinner than
the route. Either the VOR *is* on the localizer or it's too close to the
localizer for a separate line depiction.

Marco

Old November 2nd 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee[_2_]

Marco Leon wrote:
[...]

COLLI and REJOY via JOANS are the only authorized non-radar transitions
to this AIP. From the north it is VOR to LOC, from COLLI it is NDB to
KANAN.
Old November 2nd 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

In article ,
wrote:

Use anything you want, including a ham sandwich.

I tried keeping one of those in my flight bag as a backup, but it got
really really stinky after a few days.

-- Dane
Old November 2nd 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
news

I would use the localizer. That said, there a couple of things that are
confusing. CCR looks like it's depicted as a bit west of the localizer.
I'm assuming it is to scale since it is within the plan view's circle.
However, JOANS intersection is on the localizer but it is identified as
being 8.1 miles on the DME from CCR. Usually when an intersection is
identified using an off route VOR, there's some sort of reference line
that is thinner than the route.

JOANS intersection IS identified in that manner, the 074 radial of SGD. No
similar line is drawn from CCR because no CCR radial is used to define JOANS
on this IAP.

Either the VOR *is* on the localizer or it's too close to the localizer
for a separate line depiction.

CCR is 0.56 NM from KANAN on a true bearing of 261. The VOR is not on the
localizer.