Crash Pads

Old April 2nd 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

Default Crash Pads

I was listening to Joe Dion's "Come Fly With Me" podcast, and he mentioned
professional pilot's "crash pads" in New York City. And suddenly I'm
intrigued. I'm considering taking a job at Google in New York City, but
my wife doesn't want to move, so I'm thinking what I need is basic
accomodation to crash at 3-4 nights a week while I work 12+ hours a day,
then I'll come home to Rochester NY for a long weekend, and a room full of
bunk beds, half of them empty, for the nights in NYC sounds ideal. So the
question is: can non-pros take advantage of these things, and how do I
find one?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I didn't need to sabotage anything. Not being around to say "No that
Old April 3rd 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Apr 2, 4:39*pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
I was listening to Joe Dion's "Come Fly With Me" podcast, and he mentioned
professional pilot's "crash pads" in New York City. *And suddenly I'm
intrigued. *I'm considering taking a job at Google in New York City, but
my wife doesn't want to move, so I'm thinking what I need is basic
accomodation to crash at 3-4 nights a week while I work 12+ hours a day,
then I'll come home to Rochester NY for a long weekend, and a room full of
bunk beds, half of them empty, for the nights in NYC sounds ideal. *So the
question is: can non-pros take advantage of these things, and how do I
find one?

PT, They probably would not want a Non crewmember at a traditional
crash pad because you would be there alot more often than anyone else.
It might work best if you got your own apartment and rented space to
commuters. Years ago there used to be a place called Kue Gardens in
New York, that was full of crewmembers. You might check there,
Otherwise, if you know any ALPA members there are always acomidations
listed on the web boards. If you know anyone who works at an airline
they can check the bulletin boards in the pilots or FA's crew lounge.
Good Luck,
Frank
Old April 3rd 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Brian Colohan

(Paul Tomblin) writes:
I was listening to Joe Dion's "Come Fly With Me" podcast, and he mentioned
professional pilot's "crash pads" in New York City. And suddenly I'm
intrigued. I'm considering taking a job at Google in New York City, but
my wife doesn't want to move, so I'm thinking what I need is basic
accomodation to crash at 3-4 nights a week while I work 12+ hours a day,
then I'll come home to Rochester NY for a long weekend, and a room full of
bunk beds, half of them empty, for the nights in NYC sounds ideal. So the
question is: can non-pros take advantage of these things, and how do I
find one?

I know several folks who work at Google in Mountain View who live in
San Francisco or the LA area and have crash pads in Mountain View for
weekdays, or live in Mountain View and have crash pads in SF for
weekends. It would be worthwhile asking around at work to find people
to share a place with.

Alternatively, you could ask around at tech companies which are _not_
in NY. For example, I am sure there are folks who work at IBM
Yorktown and have crash pads in Manhattan for weekend visits. You
could take weekdays, and they could take weekends...

Chris
Old April 3rd 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

F. Baum wrote:
Years ago there used to be a place called Kue Gardens in
New York, that was full of crewmembers.

It's Kew Gardens.
Old April 3rd 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Apr 2, 6:39*pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
[...]

Me thinks it would be more fun to bunk with the cabin crew vs the
cockpit crew, but that's just me. g

Wil
Old April 3rd 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

I was listening to Joe Dion's "Come Fly With Me" podcast, and he
mentioned professional pilot's "crash pads" in New York City. And
suddenly I'm intrigued. I'm considering taking a job at Google in New
York City, but my wife doesn't want to move, so I'm thinking what I
need is basic accomodation to crash at 3-4 nights a week while I work
12+ hours a day, then I'll come home to Rochester NY for a long
weekend, and a room full of bunk beds, half of them empty, for the
nights in NYC sounds ideal. So the question is: can non-pros take
advantage of these things, and how do I find one?

We generally stay in hotels. Some FBO's have rest bunks, but probably
your best bet if you're talking about weekends in NYC is to check for
hotels that do rooms by the week for corporations. They're empty on
weekends and very cheap. I took one years ago. It was big, an apartment,
really. Fairly handy for seeing the city and it had parking. I think it
was in a newspaper. At that time, it was less than 100 for the whole
weekend and it slept four in two seperate rooms.

Bertie
Old April 3rd 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Ron Natalie said:
F. Baum wrote:
Years ago there used to be a place called Kue Gardens in
New York, that was full of crewmembers.

It's Kew Gardens.

Or "Crew Gardens" to the flight crews that bunk there.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Don't you just hate them? Don't you just wanna break their ribs,
Old April 4th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
I was listening to Joe Dion's "Come Fly With Me" podcast, and he mentioned
professional pilot's "crash pads" in New York City. And suddenly I'm
intrigued. I'm considering taking a job at Google in New York City, but
my wife doesn't want to move, so I'm thinking what I need is basic
accomodation to crash at 3-4 nights a week while I work 12+ hours a day,
then I'll come home to Rochester NY for a long weekend, and a room full of
bunk beds, half of them empty, for the nights in NYC sounds ideal. So the
question is: can non-pros take advantage of these things, and how do I
find one?

I've seen that sort of thing listed on CraigsList.org - $xxx for "space"
$yyy for your own bedroom near DTW (Detroit), I assume that New York would
be similar...

Look under rooms/ shared

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

A lot of pads noisily include the educational mainland. Frederic[_2_] Piloting 0 August 14th 07 05:34 AM
vampire or venom crash pic - wx904 crash.jpg (0/1) [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 December 30th 06 04:57 PM
crash pads [email protected] Piloting 1 March 14th 06 01:10 AM
Piper Rudder Pedal Pads Mike Spera Owning 1 November 4th 05 03:31 AM
FS: Avery Dennison Adds Static Cling Vinyls to Fasson® Rapid-Roll Dry erase easel pads that clings to most walls. M.Roy Home Built 0 February 11th 04 05:18 PM