TURBULATOR TAPE ON VENTUS B

Old February 18th 04, 03:31 AM
Ventus B

Default TURBULATOR TAPE ON VENTUS B

All,
My Ventus B has dimple tape on the underside of each wing very far
aft, and just ahead of the leading edge of the flaps/ailerons. My
question is, does this sound like the right location? Isn't this way
too far aft? All other gliders with turbulator tape I've seen have it
installed about 2/3-3/4 aft of the leading edge; not immediately in
front of the control surfaces. Also, does anyone know if there is a
preference for the Ventus B as far as whether dimple tape or zig-zag
tape is better? Or is no tape the best solution? How about
turbulator tape on the stabilizer and rudder for the Ventus B?
I apologize in advance if this has already been beat to death for this
glider.
Old February 18th 04, 06:24 AM
Tim Ward

"Ventus B" wrote in message
m...
All,
My Ventus B has dimple tape on the underside of each wing very far
aft, and just ahead of the leading edge of the flaps/ailerons. My
question is, does this sound like the right location? Isn't this way
too far aft? All other gliders with turbulator tape I've seen have it
installed about 2/3-3/4 aft of the leading edge; not immediately in
front of the control surfaces. Also, does anyone know if there is a
preference for the Ventus B as far as whether dimple tape or zig-zag
tape is better? Or is no tape the best solution? How about
turbulator tape on the stabilizer and rudder for the Ventus B?
I apologize in advance if this has already been beat to death for this
glider.

You might want to take a look at:
http://www.ssa.org/Johnson/38-1981-12.pdf

This is Johnson's evaluation of the Ventus A, but it is the same wing as the
B, and it is the report in which he discusses turbulators for the wing.
There is an evaluation of the Ventus B on the SSA site as well, but it only
references this FTE.

Tim Ward

Old February 18th 04, 03:36 PM
JJ Sinclair

Got the factory specs on the B, as follows:

+Inboard end of wing---164 mm forward of T/E

+ At end of spoiler--- 152 mm forward of T/E

+ At inbd end of aileron---125 mm forward

+ Stop at a point 250 mm out on the aileron.

Zig - Zag is better than dimpled tape. I would send you this picture, but I
don't know how to do that.
JJ Sinclair
Old February 18th 04, 04:54 PM
edwin

wy is zig zag better?

"JJ Sinclair" schreef in bericht
Got the factory specs on the B, as follows:

+Inboard end of wing---164 mm forward of T/E

+ At end of spoiler--- 152 mm forward of T/E

+ At inbd end of aileron---125 mm forward

+ Stop at a point 250 mm out on the aileron.

Zig - Zag is better than dimpled tape. I would send you this picture, but

don't know how to do that.
JJ Sinclair

---

Old February 18th 04, 07:05 PM
tango4

higher profile, trips the boundary layer better I guess. That dimple tape is
pretty low profile.
Come to think of it our Ventus B has dimple tape. Guess I'll hav to gt some
zigzag!

Ian

Old February 18th 04, 09:27 PM
Ventus B

All, I appreciate the feedback. Can anyone else corroborate Dick
Johnson's finding (at least on the Ventus A) that turbulator strips
degraded performance at all airspeeds? I may simply remove mine and
not replace them.

Ventus & Ventus 2 John W Soaring 3 December 7th 03 04:55 AM
FS: Ventus 2B Tom Cassetta Soaring 0 November 14th 03 05:36 PM
F.S. Ventus C Tom Stowers Soaring 0 October 7th 03 05:54 PM
Ventus C vs B tango4 Soaring 6 September 10th 03 03:29 AM
VENTUS 3 in Poland but no LS 10 Michael Soaring 9 July 26th 03 01:54 AM