Absolute lowest altitude you can fly (legally)

Old January 2nd 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Absolute lowest altitude you can fly (legally)

What regulations determine the absolute lowest altitude you can fly
above the ground in the U.S.? I understand that the area just above
the ground is usually Class G outside airports, and it only goes up to
700 or 1200 feet most of the time ... which implies that you can
actually fly at 500 feet AGL if you want. But is there some other
regulation that prohibits aircraft from flying this low, in general or
in certain conditions/areas?

Old January 2nd 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

Mxsmanic wrote:
What regulations determine the absolute lowest altitude you can fly
above the ground in the U.S.? I understand that the area just above
the ground is usually Class G outside airports, and it only goes up to
700 or 1200 feet most of the time ... which implies that you can
actually fly at 500 feet AGL if you want. But is there some other
regulation that prohibits aircraft from flying this low, in general or
in certain conditions/areas?

There was a video of a Yak that was making sparks on the runway. I
would say that's just about as low as you can go.

Old January 2nd 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
BT

if you would take a ground school course..
they would teach you the FARs
BT

Old January 2nd 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

On 01/02/07 09:46, Robert M. Gary wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
What regulations determine the absolute lowest altitude you can fly
above the ground in the U.S.? I understand that the area just above
the ground is usually Class G outside airports, and it only goes up to
700 or 1200 feet most of the time ... which implies that you can
actually fly at 500 feet AGL if you want. But is there some other
regulation that prohibits aircraft from flying this low, in general or
in certain conditions/areas?

There was a video of a Yak that was making sparks on the runway. I
would say that's just about as low as you can go.

Well, I guess you can go lower if you don't mind making your own hole ;-\

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA

Old January 2nd 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

BT wrote:
if you would take a ground school course..
they would teach you the FARs
BT

Or buy the King course.

Old January 2nd 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

What regulations determine the absolute lowest altitude you can fly
above the ground in the U.S.?

It requires a minimum of:
"An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open
water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the
aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any
person, vessel, vehicle, or structure."

"Congested areas" have higher minimums.

In Canada it's the same, with the proviso attached "except
when taking off or landing." It would be impossible to land or take off
at most airports if we had to stay 500' away from any person,
structure, vehicle or vessel.
Low flying kills people. There are unmarked wires, big birds,
unmarked or unlighted towers of all sorts. An engine failure at low
altitude means no options but pretty much straight ahead into whatever
is there. We've experienced several birdstrikes near the ground, and
just west of here is a 100' tower that must be under the minimum for
lighting, and it blends in really well with the ground. Every so often
someone snags a powerline they didn't see.

Dan

Old January 2nd 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

BT writes:

if you would take a ground school course..
they would teach you the FARs

If you don't know the answer, you can save your time and not mine by
skipping the reply.