Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Old June 5th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Gliders in the Grand Canyon

Marty Shapiro writes:

There is a real nice picture of Marble Canyon taken about 3 months ago
at http://airnav.com/airport/L41 It clearly shows the airport at the top
of the canyon, not in the canyon. Of course, MXmoron is too lazy to try
and look anything up. If he had, he would have also noticed that the
pictures of Cliff Dweller's Lodge and Grand Canyon Bar Ten also show them
at the top of the canyon, not in the canyon.

I looked it all up. On a topographic map it is clear that these are all in
the canyon. And if you look closely you'll see that the canyon is about 2000
feet deep where these airports sit.
Old June 5th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

RomeoMike writes:

I guess you're not going to inform me. I have personally flown into all
of these that you mention, except Cliff Dwellers, which I'm not sure
even exists anymore. In any case, none of them is "down in the canyon."

They are 2000 feet below the rim. How much further down do they have to be in
a 5000-foot canyon before they qualify as "inside" to you?

None of them is even within the Grand Canyon National Park boundary,

Neither is most of the Grand Canyon.

I will say that even some real pilots, impressed
with the scenery, have thought they were in the Grand Canyon when
flying into Marble Canyon airport, but they were not.

I will say that some people hate it when not looking something up comes back
to bite them.

BTW, I know the answer to your original question, but what's the use.

If you aren't even familiar with the SFRA, I rather doubt that you could know
the answer to my question.
Old June 5th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

BT writes:

I believe that all of these airports are outside the SFAR protected area and
are not "down in the Canyon".

Two are inside the SFRA, two are just outside. They are all in the canyon,
which is larger than both the SFRA and the national park.
Old June 5th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

You see, this is why no one wants to engage you. You are either stupid
or a troll for sure. I have the USGS 'Navajo Bridge Quad.' 7.5'
topographic map in front of me. It clearly shows Marble Canyon airport
ABOVE the canyon. To the northwest are the Vermilion Cliffs, which have
nothing to do with the Grand Canyon. I have the appropriate topos for
the Tuweep and Bar Ten areas as well, but what's the use.

Old June 5th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Mxsmanic wrote:
in the Canyon.

It is indeed in the canyon, which starts at Lee's Ferry.

No, not in the canyon or even in the Park.

It's not inside the park, but it's inside the SFRA, which is bigger than the
park (the park covers only a fraction of the canyon).

How big a fraction would that be? About 100%? (Not including certain
tribal rights.)

There's also Phantom Ranch, but it cannot accommodate fixed-wing aircraft as
far as I know.

Ever been there? I have.It can't accommodate any GA aircraft. But at
least you have finally named a place that is "down in the canyon."
Old June 5th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Thanks for the photo. For the troll MX, what you see in this photo is
the airport with the canyon to the right and the Vermilion Cliffs to the
left. The Vermilion Cliffs are not part of the Grand Canyon. If you
would like for me to prove this further, meet me there, and I will, with
great glee, throw you off the rim into Marble Canyon, and you can
protest all the way down how stupid real pilots are.

Old June 5th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

I've made my case elsewhere in this thread and am done with your
argumentative, trolling stupidity. Ciao!

Old June 5th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

I looked it all up. On a topographic map it is clear that these are
all in the canyon. And if you look closely you'll see that the canyon
is about 2000 feet deep where these airports sit.

Bull. If you had looked it all up you would have known that Tuweep
(L50) has been closed.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old June 5th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

John Theune writes:

Marble Canyon is about 45 miles away from the Grand Canyon in Marble
Canyon

Marble Canyon is part of the Grand Canyon, and part of the Grand
Canyon SFRA.

Cliff Dweller's Lodge is also in Marble Canyon about 40 miles from
Grand Canyon

See above.

Tuweep Cannot find anything about this one, maybe it's a made up one
in MSFS

Are you not a pilot? Just look at the Grand Canyon VFR chart--as I
did.

You aren't a pilot, fjukkwit.

And you never will be

Bertie
Old June 5th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Marty Shapiro writes:

There is a real nice picture of Marble Canyon taken about 3 months
ago at http://airnav.com/airport/L41 It clearly shows the airport at
the top of the canyon, not in the canyon. Of course, MXmoron is too
lazy to try and look anything up. If he had, he would have also
noticed that the pictures of Cliff Dweller's Lodge and Grand Canyon
Bar Ten also show them at the top of the canyon, not in the canyon.

I looked it all up. On a topographic map it is clear that these are
all in the canyon. And if you look closely you'll see that the canyon
is about 2000 feet deep where these airports sit.

So what, fjukwit?

Bertie