GA Callsigns

Old March 14th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

Default GA Callsigns

We were always taught to refer to ourselves on the radio with our full
callsigns until ATC refers to us with a shortened callsign (i.e. the last
three characters). However, I've noticed that the majority of the approach
controllers refer to most of the GA aircraft as "November" followed by their
numbers/letters. My question (to controllers in particular) is, do they
prefer us to refer to ourselves thereafter as "November xxxxxx" as well or
do they prefer us to keep with the "Cherokee/Cessna/Mooney..." moniker?

Minor point--I know. I just like to try and improve at least one thing
after each flight.

Marco

Old March 14th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

From the Air Traffic Control Handbook:

"2-4-20. AIRCRAFT IDENTIFICATION

Use the full identification in reply to aircraft with similar sounding
identifications. For other aircraft, the same identification may be used in
reply that the pilot used in his/her initial callup except use the correct
identification after communications have been established. Identify aircraft
as follows:

a. U.S. registry aircraft. State one of the following:

1. Civil. State the prefix "November" when establishing initial
communications with U.S. registered aircraft followed by the ICAO phonetic
pronunciation of the numbers/letters of the aircraft registration. The
controller may state the aircraft type, the model, the manufacturer's name,
followed by the ICAO phonetic pronunciation of the numbers/letters of the
aircraft registration if used by the pilot on the initial or subsequent
call."

From AIM 4-2-4(a)(3): "When the aircraft manufacturer's made or model is
stated, the prefix 'N' is dropped."

Take your choice. I personally never use November in communicating with ATC.

Bob Gardner
SAY AGAIN, PLEASE

Old March 14th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Marco Leon wrote:
My question (to controllers in particular) is, do they
prefer us to refer to ourselves thereafter as "November xxxxxx" as well or
do they prefer us to keep with the "Cherokee/Cessna/Mooney..." moniker?

Technically, either way is correct, but I (and the few ATC guys I know)
prefer to use the make/model, followed by the numbers. The main reason
being that ATC will often point you out to others as traffic and in busy
areas it helps with visual identification.

I've found when a controller starts referring to me as "November xxx" it
usually means he either didn't hear my aircraft type on the initial call, or
he forgot it. A couple of times over the last few months when approach has
been calling me "November xxx", they've later asked for my aircraft type
before calling me out as traffic to another plane. This seems to be more
common with Approach controllers than with towers.

My biggest problem on initial call in is controllers admonishing me to use
my full callsign, even though I am using it.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 14th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NVArt

I've found when a controller starts referring to me as "November xxx" it
usually means he either didn't hear my aircraft type on the initial call, or
he forgot it. A couple of times over the last few months when approach has
been calling me "November xxx", they've later asked for my aircraft type
before calling me out as traffic to another plane.

Generally, I hear a terse "NOVEMBER xxxxx" when I'm not paying
attention and they've call me a coupla times.
Sightseeing, BSing with pax, etc.
Old March 15th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" wrote:

I've found when a controller starts referring to me as "November xxx" it
usually means he either didn't hear my aircraft type on the initial call, or
he forgot it.

Or he was unsure of what he heard.

I used to fly a Cessna Cutlass. When I checked in using that type,
controllers often came back with "November xxxxx" because they seldom heard
that type, I suppose...or they said "Douglas xxxxx" or "Cardinal xxxxx" or
some such.

Now that I'm flying a Skylane, that sort of thing seldom happens.

--
Dan
T-182T at 4R4

Old March 15th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I used to fly a Cessna Cutlass. When I checked in using that type,
controllers often came back with "November xxxxx" because they seldom
heard that type, I suppose...or they said "Douglas xxxxx" or "Cardinal
xxxxx" or some such.

Now that I'm flying a Skylane, that sort of thing seldom happens.

We long ago gave up saying "Pathfinder November five six niner nine tree" --
all you get is a lot of "What's that?" from controllers. We just say
"Dakota five six niner niner tree" now, and they all get it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 15th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-15, Jay Honeck wrote:
I used to fly a Cessna Cutlass. When I checked in using that type,
controllers often came back with "November xxxxx" because they seldom
heard that type, I suppose...or they said "Douglas xxxxx" or "Cardinal
xxxxx" or some such.

We long ago gave up saying "Pathfinder November five six niner nine tree" --
all you get is a lot of "What's that?" from controllers. We just say
"Dakota five six niner niner tree" now, and they all get it.

I'm curious to see what the reactions to "Zodiac five five zulu charlie"
will be. There's not much I can replace it with.

What do I tell ATC when they ask what that is? (Aside from "my airplane", of
course.)
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old March 15th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:17:29 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

We long ago gave up saying "Pathfinder November five six niner nine tree" --
all you get is a lot of "What's that?" from controllers. We just say
"Dakota five six niner niner tree" now, and they all get it.

Try "Sundowner"...

Then, you give them Bravo-Echo-2-3 as a type, and get "Why is your
Bonanza going so slow?" several times, as BE33 was typed in to the ATC
system. G
Old March 15th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-15, john smith wrote:
Jay Maynard wrote:
I'm curious to see what the reactions to "Zodiac five five zulu charlie"
will be. There's not much I can replace it with.
What do I tell ATC when they ask what that is? (Aside from "my airplane", of
course.)

You say EXPERIMENTAL.

Nope. It's not an experimental, but an SLSA.
Old March 15th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I used to fly a Cessna Cutlass. When I checked in using that type,
controllers often came back with "November xxxxx" because they
seldom heard that type, I suppose...or they said "Douglas xxxxx" or
"Cardinal xxxxx" or some such.

Now that I'm flying a Skylane, that sort of thing seldom happens.

We long ago gave up saying "Pathfinder November five six niner nine
tree" -- all you get is a lot of "What's that?" from controllers.
We just say "Dakota five six niner niner tree" now, and they all get
it.

It's a cherokee, moron.

Bertie