Mid Air Collisions

Old July 3rd 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sukumar Kirloskar

Default Mid Air Collisions

One of the books of Philip Wills has a chapter that describes how the BGA
was able
to obtain the freedom to fly gliders in controlled airspace in the UK. As
I recall, this
was the result of a statistical analysis on the probabilities of mid air
collisions. Would
anybody know where I may be able to lay my hands on this report or anybody

provide it or perhaps a copy of the chapter of the book.

It has been many years since my reading the book to which I no longer have
access.
I am an inactive glider pilot in Bangalore India that has airport problems
which
however are not related to gliders . The way the BGA tackled their problem
so many
years ago may have relevance hence my request.

I am also making this request to the BGA.

Thanks,

Sukumar
Old July 3rd 08, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 3 Jul, 06:42, Sukumar Kirloskar wrote:
One of the books of Philip Wills has a chapter that describes how the BGA
was able
to obtain the freedom to fly gliders in controlled airspace in the UK. As
I recall, this
was the result of a statistical analysis on the probabilities of mid air
collisions. Would
anybody know where I may be able to lay my hands on this report or anybody

provide it or perhaps a copy of the chapter of the book.

That's in "Free as a Bird", the third one of his "Bird" books. I am
sure abebooks.com will turn one up for you.

Alas, all that he fought for has gone now.

Ian
Old July 3rd 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Sukumar,

The book you are referring to is "Free as a Bird". It has a lot of
information over many chapters about the fight to keep airspace open in the
UK. You can see details on the book using the link below. I don't sell the
book but I do have links to several used book sources. I have a copy, but
I'm not interested in selling it. I don't think it would be possible to
copy just a few pages because the data your ore interested in is spread
throughout the book - if I remember correctly.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...reeAsABird.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old July 3rd 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin[_2_]

The book is on sale in a variety of conditions from several sources
through Amazon in the UK.

Used good £16.04 up to
Used very good £77.22

At that price I will keep my copy safe....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...5085198&sr=1-1

Maybe Justin Wills of his brother Chris have copies of the information
from Phillip's files although as I reall his log books were with the RAF
Museum at Hendon -- Sorry I have no contact details for either

Dave

Old July 3rd 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

At 05:42 03 July 2008, Sukumar Kirloskar wrote:

[...]

Sukumar,

you might wish to consider the German model. Gliding is a significant
sport in Germany and has a high profile. Gliding clubs are granted access
to controlled airspace in the form of glider sectors/boxes. e.g. Stuttgart
CTR has 4 or maybe 5 glider sectors within it (I haven't got my Germany 6
chart at work!). These are opened up by arrangement by the gliding club
that 'owns' the airspace or by a call to ATC when you are flying.

The extent that the controlled airsapce is opened up in Germany is
impressive and is not reflected in the UK's approach. Belgium, where I
fly, relaxes the airspace at weekends for gliding. Its still very
complicated airspace mind you!

Similarly Madrid CTR has a glider box extending south to clearer airspace
to allow gliders from Ocana to fly (national glding centre).

You probably don't want to fllow the Dutch example who have made all of
the Netherlands TMZ in increasingly restrictive steps until 2010.

This link (a French example) may give you an idea
http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/index.j...c_features.jsp

Gavin
Std Cirrus, CNN now G-SCNN, #173
LSV Viersen, Keiheuvel, Belgium