Electrical Relay Help

Old August 27th 03, 03:25 AM
Jeff

Default Electrical Relay Help

I have a 12v DC linear actuator, it just has 2 wires coming from the motor.
If I connect the red wire to the positive terminal of the battery and the
black to the negative, the motor extends. When I reverse the wires the
motor retracts. The motor draws about 5 amps. Pretty straight forward even
for an electrical dummy like me :)

I have a grip for my control stick that has a 3 position switch to control
this motor. It is an ON-OFF-ON SPST switch that is capable of about 2 amps.
So I went down to Radio Shack and bought a DPDT 12v relay part number
275-218. Here is the Radio Shack web site for this relay:
http://www.radioshack.com/searchsku.asp?find=275-218

I need some help wiring the thing up so I can use my motor. Which wires go
where? Did I get the right kind of relay?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old August 27th 03, 04:35 AM
James R. Freeman

Jeff:
To do it right , I would use 2 of this type of relay unless You are sure
the SPDT switch can handle 5 amps D.C. in the long term. You may contact me
off list for wiring details either wayfor wiring details.

remove the no-spam
Jim

Old August 27th 03, 04:36 AM
Darrel Toepfer

[...]

You'll need 2 relays, one wired to each side of the ON of the switch... If
you could replace the switch with a DPDT of proper amperage, you could do
without the relays. Routing large enough gauge wire up the control could be
a problem though...

Wiring is pretty straight forward, keep in mind that you need to reverse the
polarity to the motor...

If you were to use a DPDT CENTER OFF switch you'd do it like this:

1I I2
Battery + 3I I4 -
Motor + 5I I6 -

Run a jumper from 1 to 6 and another from 2 to 5. The battery positive runs
to 3 and negative to 4. The actuator moter is hooked to 5 and 6. Reverse the
polarity or switch position as need be to get the actuator movement in the
desired direction...

Using the relay works the same way, you'll be using 2 NORMALLY OPEN
terminals on each relay, run 2 jumpers from the commons to your battery
inputs, run another 2 jumpers from the NO terminals of each relay (use the
ones across from the commons you used) reverse the polarity across the
jumpers on one relay. Strap one side of the coils of each relay to ground.
Take the other side of the coils to each of your control stick switch
points, wire the common of it to the battery positive. Be sure to use proper
gauge wire on the load wiring and its supply, be sure to fuse/breaker the
switch supply as well as the positive supply for the load feed into the
relays, to avoid meltdowns from shorts in motor or wiring...

For the legals, "I cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of the
information supplied above"...

Old August 27th 03, 08:51 PM
Jay

Unless you're in love with relays, you could use a solid state
solution such as an H-Bridge. One thing you're going to want to think
about in your system is when you turn off the juice to that big motor,
it's inductance is going to generate a large voltage spike. So you'll
want some way of absorbing that other than channeling into into your
radio equipment and pitting your relay contacts.

Regards

Old August 28th 03, 02:37 AM
Jeff

Jay,

I am not totally set on using a relay. As you can tell from my post, I am
not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination. I can wire
things up and am very comfortable with stuff like that, I just need a little
nudge in the right direction. Please tell me more about what an H-Bridge
is.

Thanks!!

Jeff

om...

Old August 28th 03, 01:32 PM
Jeff

Richard,

The problem is the Ray Allen G207 control stick that I have only has
provisions for a 2 amp SPST switch..

Thanks,
Jeff

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message

A simple 10 amp double pole double throw switch (preferably spring
loaded to center off position) will do the job nicely for about $10.

The center terminals of the switch (the 2 common pins) will be wired
to the motor - one from each terminal.
Those are the only wires to the motor.
Call this the "output" from the switch.

On the outter terminals of the switch, +12 and ground on one pole and
ground and +12 on the other. Note that the voltages are reversed.

When the switch is pressed one way the motor gets +/-.
When the switch is pressed the other way the motor gets -/+.

That will provide basic functionality.

If you want pilot and co-pilot stick inputs and a priority override,
it will take relays (plural) and a lot more head scratching.

Leo wired up the trim on his Zodiac this week.
His system has all that and a co-pilot disable, and rate adjustment too.
He just bought the commercial modules and wired it up per instructions.

Lo and behold, it works as advertised.

Best of luck.

Richard

Jeff wrote:

Jay,

I am not totally set on using a relay. As you can tell from my post, I

am
not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination. I can

wire
things up and am very comfortable with stuff like that, I just need a

little
nudge in the right direction. Please tell me more about what an

H-Bridge
is.

Thanks!!

Jeff

om...

Old August 28th 03, 05:19 PM
Richard Lamb

Jeff wrote:

Richard,

The problem is the Ray Allen G207 control stick that I have only has
provisions for a 2 amp SPST switch..

Thanks,
Jeff

Ok, so how is THAT going to work????
Old August 28th 03, 07:33 PM
Jay

An H bridge is basically performing the same switching function as
your pair of DPDT relays, the difference is the switches are power
transistors instead of electromagnets and springs pulling little
contacts together and apart. It has the advantage of no moving parts
or contact points. They usually offer a speed control and brake as
well. The brake just short accross the motor contacts so that the
motor stops as soon as you release the switch and also so the aero
forces won't be able to spin the motor and move the flight surface.
The friction of the mechanical system might stop this on its own. The
issue for you is going to be to find a nice packaged module with lug
terminals so you can just wire it up and go. Do a search on google
for "H bridge module" or something like that.

National makes a very nice 3amp componant level solution with a 6amp
peak capability http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LMD18200.html
This is just the raw componant and is probably too difficult for you
to use directly.

Or you could build your own H bridge from solid state relays like
Sharp's S108T01.

Find out if your EM actuator has a built in snubber circuit or not.
The snubber circuit is what disipates the energy stored in the
magnetic field of your motor windings. You want that energy disipated
in a safe way so it doesn't fry any of your high dollar avionics.

And on the other end of the sophistication spectrum is just using a
momentary contact DPDT on-off-on switch instead of the switch
currently built into your stick grip. Maybe panel mount?

"Jeff" my last name @fidnet.com wrote in message ...
Jay,

I am not totally set on using a relay. As you can tell from my post, I am
not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination. I can wire
things up and am very comfortable with stuff like that, I just need a little
nudge in the right direction. Please tell me more about what an H-Bridge
is.

Thanks!!

Jeff

om...

Old August 29th 03, 01:06 AM
Jeff

Jay,

Thanks for the information. I now have a pair of DPDT relays that I can use
if all else fails. I will do some research.

Thanks!!

Jeff

"Jay" wrote in message
om...
[...]