A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Really neat program to display IGC files on a PC

Old December 8th 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb
external usenet poster

Default Really neat program to display IGC files on a PC

Hi Gang
I have always displayed my flights with SeeYou on a PC. There is a very interesting alternative. It is called igcreplay and is a free program that uses Google Earth. The graphics are limited only by the power of your video card and can be spectacular. In HD video as you begin on the roll you see how far off the runway center line you are (a foot for me) and then watch your flight in HD video from the position you would normally be in the cockpit of your aircraft. By the way you can adjust the viewing angle from left to right and up and down. This is almost as good as what you can do with a true HD camcorder However Google Earth's pictures might be months old but not much changes visually except the seasons.
So go download Google Earth if you don't already have it on your PC.Then download:
http://ywtw.de/igcsim.html and install it.
I found this in the LK8000 manual which is 310 pages long.Enjoy.
Dave
Old December 8th 12, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Awesome! thanks for sharing!

aerodyne
Old December 8th 12, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob
external usenet poster

On Dec 7, 5:50*pm, kd6veb wrote:
Hi Gang
*I have always displayed my flights with SeeYou on a PC. There is a very interesting alternative. It is called igcreplay and is a free program that uses Google Earth. The graphics are limited only by the power of your video card and can be spectacular. In HD video as you begin on the roll you see how far off the runway center line you are (a foot for me) and then watch your flight in HD video from the position you would normally be in the cockpit of your aircraft. By the way you can adjust the viewing angle from left to right and up and down. This is almost as good as what you can do with a true HD camcorder However Google Earth's pictures might be months old but not much changes visually except the seasons.
* So go download Google Earth if you don't already have it on your PC.Then download:http://ywtw.de/igcsim.htmland install it.
* I found this in the LK8000 manual which is 310 pages long.Enjoy.
Dave

THANKS DAVE! I tried it last night with several of my flights... This
site is GREAT! Now my friends can get to see why I'm so addicted to
gliding over the awesome SW Colorado mountain scenery every summer. I
can pick any flight to share anytime with just a quick few strokes of
the keyboard.

Bob T.
Old December 8th 12, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve
external usenet poster

On Friday, December 7, 2012 6:50:26 PM UTC-6, kd6veb wrote:
Hi Gang

I have always displayed my flights with SeeYou on a PC. There is a very interesting alternative. It is called igcreplay and is a free program that uses Google Earth. The graphics are limited only by the power of your video card and can be spectacular. In HD video as you begin on the roll you see how far off the runway center line you are (a foot for me) and then watch your flight in HD video from the position you would normally be in the cockpit of your aircraft. By the way you can adjust the viewing angle from left to right and up and down. This is almost as good as what you can do with a true HD camcorder However Google Earth's pictures might be months old but not much changes visually except the seasons.

So go download Google Earth if you don't already have it on your PC.Then download:

http://ywtw.de/igcsim.html and install it.

I found this in the LK8000 manual which is 310 pages long.Enjoy.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I went to the site and it looks like a great alternative to SeeYou. Unfortunately, It seems that many soaring programs are still stuck on Windows programs. I've been a Mac person for a while as well as most everyone else I know. This must be because there's still an impression from the software developers that it's not cost effective to program for Macs yet. Hopefully this will change and Macs will be included. I'd sure like to be able to use these programs. Also, I'm not comfortable with running BootCamp on my Mac as a way to run Windows programs. Oh well....

Steve
Old December 8th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb
external usenet poster

Hi Steve
I don't consider this program to be a replacement of SeeYou for displaying flights but a whole new approach. To be able to view a flight from a position roughly equivalent to where your head would be in the cockpit is simply amazing and then to watch your flight on the initial roll with the runway in front of you in stunning HD is breath taking. It is simply a new experience. Entirely different from SeeYou.
OK again if this sort of thing interests you I urge you all to experience the power of Google Earth when used to its advantage. Just stunning!
Dave
Old December 8th 12, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Nice.
The earlier versions didn't bank in turns, but 1.0 does.
Jim
Old December 9th 12, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, December 8, 2012 2:07:59 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
Nice.

The earlier versions didn't bank in turns, but 1.0 does.

Jim

New version?? Cool.