Aircraft Financing

Old September 1st 05, 10:58 PM
Jon Kraus

Or you can use your regular email account and put a filter on it to
direct for the tech stuff or
for the regular stuff to separate folders. Whenever
I need someting specific to my Mooney I go to the Mooney list. Example -
we jsut had a STCT30 autopilot installed in our '79 "J" and we saved 3-4
AMU's by asking the Mooney Gods about the best place to go!!

Currently there are some awesome pireps on the new Garmin 396 that we
are thinking about getting (hey it's only money right?). I'm sure that
the Cessna, Piper, Cirrus, and Bo folks hafve such groups too. I find
them a very valuable tool indeed...

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Dave,
There are two lists. There is a general lists and sometimes gets very
chatty and crappy. Other times its great. There is also a tech list
that is pretty tightly controlled (usually). The tech list is just SO
AWESOME! Just two weekends ago I wanted to replace a vent in my Mooney
and couldn't figure out how to get it out (the maint. manual leaves a
lot to the mind). I had answers right away.

For me, the trick is to NOT use your regular email account to
subscribe. I created an email account in yahoo that I only use for the
Mooney list. I sometimes go months without looking at it because I'm
busy. Then, I'll have an issue and I'll log into that account, ask a
question and get a quick answer. Many of the operators of our Mooney
factory service centers are on the list too (Tom from Top Gun, Paul and
Robert from Lake Aero, Don from Maxwell Aviation, etc). These guys are
the gurus of keeping Mooneys running (and I've had each of them work on
my Mooney).

Anyway, to subscribe go to aviating.com.

-Robert

Old September 2nd 05, 12:48 AM
Robert M. Gary

"I believe that automobile have a celing on deductibiity"

Actually, its the other way around. A Hummer of a giant SUV gets better
deductions than a small car because of its weight. I guess the IRS
considers only real workers drive cars that heavy. Personally, if
its got leather interior, its probably not an industrial vehicle.

Old September 2nd 05, 08:32 PM
Don Hammer

On 31 Aug 2005 17:01:29 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

Its amazing to me that some people finance their personal aircraft. The
monthly costs associated with owning an aircraft are so massive I can't
imaging servicing a loan on top of that.

-Robert, M20F

Robert,

There are all kinds of folks that do things for different reasons. A
recent client of mine wrote a check for a $43M Gulfstream. His
reason? Banks just ask too many silly questions. To him it was no
different than you or I buying a bicycle. The $4M a year it costs him
keep it gets lost with the rest of his bills. He's just on a different
level than you or I.
Old September 2nd 05, 10:15 PM
Doug

Sometimes assets are financed because of liability concerns. If someone
sues the corp and wins, the bank comes first. Plaintiff doesn't get
much. Also, sometimes assets are financed to insure good title,
insurance etc. And then there is leverage, you can simply own more if
you borrow. Lots of reasons other than "can't afford to pay cash".

Old September 2nd 05, 10:15 PM
Robert M. Gary

I agree. You have to be pretty loaded to afford to finance a plane.

Old September 4th 05, 03:26 PM
John Doe

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
I agree. You have to be pretty loaded to afford to finance a plane.

Why do you say that? I just payed off my two cars and now have about $1000
extra cash a month and am finally starting to consider buying a plane.

Why do I have to be loaded?

Old September 4th 05, 06:07 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 31 Aug 2005 17:01:29 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Its amazing to me that some people finance their personal aircraft. The
monthly costs associated with owning an aircraft are so massive I can't
imaging servicing a loan on top of that.

-Robert, M20F

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I've got money in my Roth IRA that I could use; but that money has been
earning me 14-15% per year (since 1999) tax-free.

Why should I withdraw it when I can get a loan for an aircraft at less than
1/2 that rate?

Same rationale for purchasing a auto a few years ago. Yes I could have
paid cash; but I could also finance it for five years at zero percent
interest.