UK Glider pilot visiting Minnesota

Old January 27th 13, 06:51 PM
Timothy Sundquist Timothy Sundquist is offline
Junior Member

Cool

Mike,

Hope you enjoyed your stay in the USA, hope you are enjoying even more being retired in the UK. I'm enjoying some traveling in Southwestern U.S. Someday I hope to get to the UK, hope we can stay in touch. Let me know how things are going. Tim:

Tim Sundquist
Minnesota

I'm a UK based glider pilot and I will be working in the northern
part of Minnesota in late April and for most of May.
Old March 9th 15, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default UK Glider pilot visiting Minnesota

Hi Folks,

Just looked at this thread again.

Thanks for all your answers. No, I'm not a lumberjack but I can do a fairly poor impression of the Monty Python lumberjack song after a few beers. I work in Television and we were making a TV series from near Ely MN for the BBC.

I did not manage to locate any gliding club and fully agree that the opportunities for cross country are extremely limited. When I was there, the sky was full of lovely cumulus clouds. It is worse than looking out of an office window at a good gliding sky. How bad is that??

I did find a floatplane facility and treated myself to a couple of hours of tuition and hooning. Interesting stuff although I would have been far happier in my Ventus.

Thanks again for your help and wishing you happy soaring!

Mike

Old March 9th 15, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just looked at this thread again.

Thanks for all your answers. No, I'm not a lumberjack but I can do a
fairly poor impression of the Monty Python lumberjack song after a few
beers. I work in Television and we were making a TV series from near Ely MN for the BBC.

I did not manage to locate any gliding club and fully agree that the
opportunities for cross country are extremely limited. When I was there,
the sky was full of lovely cumulus clouds. It is worse than looking out
of an office window at a good gliding sky. How bad is that??

I did find a floatplane facility and treated myself to a couple of hours
of tuition and hooning. Interesting stuff although I would have been far
happier in my Ventus.

Thanks again for your help and wishing you happy soaring!

Mike

Yeah nothing close to Ely. You'd have to find a club around Minneapolis.
Just out of curiosity can you tell us what the BBC was doing up in Ely???

Pete
Old March 10th 15, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Mike,

I live near Minneapolis, Minnesota. Ely is a 10 hour drive North of where I
live. It is a lovely part of the world, but very remote. There are no
soaring clubs in that area. There are soaring clubs in the Minneapolis
area. There is a club in Osceola, Wisconsin which is NE of Minneapolis. I
fly with the Minnesota Soaring Club which is about 1 hour South of
Minneapolis. There is also a commercial soaring operation at Faribault
airport which is also an hour South of Minneapolis.
You can see some details he
http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFly
and he
http://www.soarmn.com

Feel free to call or Skype for more information.

We start flying in early to mid April.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.