Yeah! I'm back online..No thanks to Charley.

Old August 24th 04, 04:14 AM
Capt.Doug

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
The weather service actually does provide a forecast of the general

region,
with a percentage probability that the hurricane will stay within that

zone.
The high probability zone can actually be quite large, and moving your

plane
just barely outside that zone still doesn't guarantee that the airplane is
safe.

Then we move again. I've flown within 40 miles of the eye of 3 hurricanes
starting with David in 1979 and including Andrew. I've flown through the
feeder bands of countless other hurricanes and tropical depessions. If I'm
moving just one airplane out of a storm's path, I'll move 100 miles to side
of the NWS forecasted path. I'll track the storm's progress and move again
if need be. If I'm moving several planes, and I won't be able to move them
all if the storm does take a surprise turn, I'll fly 200 miles or more
perpendicular to the forecasted path.

For perspective, the worst atrocity I've seen wasn't from a hurricane. It
was from a tornado that crossed 3 airports and destroyed nearly 200 planes
in less than a half hour.

D.