Lightspeed vs Sigtronics

Old October 18th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Lightspeed vs Sigtronics

I've got one of each - S20 and Solo. Looking at the hush kits from
Oregon Aero but they are different and not interchangeable. At about
$110 each (nearly the cost of the headsets to start with) has anyone
here used the kits? Are they worth the price? I'm flying about 30
hours a week and the perspiration is causing ear problems.
Would appreciate any feedback or comments.
Ol Shy & Bashful

Old October 18th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
rip

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
I've got one of each - S20 and Solo. Looking at the hush kits from
Oregon Aero but they are different and not interchangeable. At about
$110 each (nearly the cost of the headsets to start with) has anyone
here used the kits? Are they worth the price? I'm flying about 30
hours a week and the perspiration is causing ear problems.
Would appreciate any feedback or comments.
Ol Shy & Bashful

I use a David Clark with a Hush Kit from Oregon Aero, and I like it
better than any other headset I've used (including the Bose X).

Rip
Old October 18th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

I have the Hush Kit on my 13.4S with Soft Seals makes wearing a set of David
Clamps for 13-15 hours non stop not so bad.

oups.com...

Old October 19th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Oct 18, 1:29 pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
I have a Gentex helmet and a pair of Dave Clarks with Headset's ANR mod.
While they both work well, why not buy a premade ANR headset instead of
voiding any potential warranty repair. The cost should be about the same.

Viper
Already have the headsets and don't feel like spending a couple
hundred more. Can't use my custom ear pieces anymore for the same ear
irritation problems and while I'd not mind wearing my helmet, there
would be some resistance at company level.
Rocky

Old October 19th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Oct 18, 8:53 pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
If you're flying 30 hours a week it might pay to get a comfortable new ANR
headset. However, the Headset's Inc mod does work well with the gel seals on
the DC's. They also support their products. It does require carrying around
a separate battery box unless you get it hardwired.

It is pretty solid and bullet proof, but lacks the quality and features of
the upper end LightSpeeds and certainly the Bose.

Overall, it seems like most of the ANR mods work pretty well.

Viper
I doubt I'll fly more than a couple more years and I hate to spend
much more money on equipment. After so many hours my hi freq hearing
is already shot and I don't see much advantage of ANR vs passive. I've
tried several and can appreciate the lower noise levels, but the same
damned problem happens with the perspiration and ear infections. Have
tried quite a variety of treatments but it keeps coming back.
Aggravating as hell.
I quit ag work last year after 40 years of it and my helmet is just
sitting in the closet weeping.....g I spent many 12-14 hr days in
the cockpit for weeks on end without a break during the seasons and
was smart enough to wear ear plugs under my custom helmet almost from
the start. Otherwise I'd probably be 75% deaf like many older ag
pilots who never wore helmets or ear protection. When I was doing
corporate in turbo-props I had the expensive gear on the company dime
but left the gear when I quit them. Now I'm just looking for some
comfortable conditions while I finish out my aviation career after 50+
years. Thanks for your suggestions and observations.
Rocky

Old October 20th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Oct 19, 7:10 am, "Viperdoc" wrote:
That ag flying must have been a great experience. What did you fly?

One of the guys in the next hangar flew ag for years, and then went to
Midwest. He seems to hear just fine, but a when we talk with a lot of the
high hour guys, their most common answer to a question is "huh?" or "what
was that again?"

It was certainly a smart move to wear plugs under the helmet. Since the ear
cups don't clamp like a DC, my ANR helmet always seems to need adjustment to
avoid feedback.

Viperdoc
Ummm...Piper Pawnee, Super Cub, Brave, Cessna 188's (all of'em),
Grumman Ag Cat, Snow, Thrush with 985 thru the big engines and
turbine, Air Tractors, uhhh....Bell 47's ( a bunch), Bell 206, Hiller
12c-e and ET, Hughes 269/300/500,
Enstrom 28, DC-3, Bellanca Scout, Stearman, uhhh....Fletcher F28,
hmmm....Beech 18,,,,, hard to recall all of them!
Did a little over 13,000 hrs worldwide in ag work. What a great time
and experiences in so many places. Some of the greatest ********s in
the world, and some of the finest. Without doubt the worst was in
Egypt in 1979.
Cheers
Rocky
BTW I also did a lot of competition shooting and wore earplugs under
earmuffs. Shot with USMC teams in the 50's/60's and lots of civilian
matches. Did OK and ranked pretty high.

Sigtronics conversion Pindon Owning 0 September 18th 05 04:26 PM
For Auction: Sigtronics Intercomm, Panel VFR GPS Ray Bengen Aviation Marketplace 0 April 15th 05 05:02 PM
Sigtronics Service Rosspilot Piloting 0 July 7th 04 11:27 PM
FS: Child headsets from Sigtronics Kevin Chandler Instrument Flight Rules 3 September 5th 03 02:41 PM
FS: Child headsets from Sigtronics Kevin Chandler Piloting 3 September 5th 03 02:41 PM