Best Season for Marfa TX?

Old August 18th 03, 02:27 AM
chris

Default Best Season for Marfa TX?

So when are the cloudbases the highest in west Texas?

I'l like to plan a trip there next year and was wondering which months
would justify a 2 day drive and 2 back.

Chris
Old August 18th 03, 04:23 AM
Burt Compton

So when are the cloudbases the highest in west Texas?

The cloudbases are quite high year-round, however the months when you can count
on almost every day climbing to over 15,000' to 17,000' are May through
September. In the legendary period of the 1960's - '70's, the contests were
held from June to mid July.

Dick Johnson's wave camp is usually held around Easter, to take advantage of
the steady winds in April.

One more thing - some folks think it is hot and flat out in west Texas. Marfa
is up on a plateau 5,000' above sea level, surrounded by higher mesas and
mountains, near Big Bend National Park. We barely top 90 degrees F. in the
summer, but rarely see the oppressive heat of the rest of the Republic of
Texas. Our large hangar is finished so there is plenty of shade for you and
your glider!

If you are considering coming to Marfa, send me an e-mail for my suggested list
of winter projects to make your glider ready for the trip west, which includes
getting your trailer in top shape, installing oxygen and doubling the drinking
water capacity in your glider.

Marfa is a remarkable place. Wonderful scenery, excellent visibility and very
strong thermals. Come visit. We'll show you a good time!

Burt & Kathie Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.FLYGLIDERS.com

Old August 27th 03, 02:58 AM
Snead1

Burt

Are you staying at Marfa all year now?

Bill Snead
6W

First Snowstorm Of The Season Jay Honeck Piloting 14 June 6th 11 02:28 AM
2004 California airshow season shaping up! Wings Of Fury Military Aviation 0 December 31st 03 05:34 AM
Hunting Season EDR Piloting 29 November 9th 03 04:47 PM
Why are the Tbirds finishing season w/only 5 aircraft? dave999 Military Aviation 4 October 16th 03 03:40 PM