Blood Pressure/Medical (longish)

Old September 29th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wizard of Draws[_3_]

Default Blood Pressure/Medical (longish)

On 9/29/07 12:23 PM, in article ,
"Larry Dighera" wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:59:05 -0400, Wizard of Draws
wrote in
:

But the BP was enough to have him start me on 5 mg Lisinopril
and 25 mg Hydrochlorothiazide daily.

Another point I find lacking in this discussion of the treatment of
high blood pressure with diuretic drugs is the failure to mention the
necessity to supplement dietary potassium to compensate for that
flushed out through increased urination.

Has you doctor mentioned potassium? Are you aware that you may
require supplementing it while on your course of diuretic medication
(Hydrochlorothiazide)?

He has. They gave me long-winded printouts of what it does and what to do,
side effects, etc. I take a multi-vitamin every day anyhow and have started
drinking OJ in the mornings, and after every run.

One of the first days I was on the meds, I was given a very good
demonstration of what they can do. I had been outside cutting grass on a
riding mower in the heat for a good 3 hours and at the end of that time, I
was whipped. I could hardly stand. But once I had some juice in me and got
rehydrated, I was fine. I paid attention after that.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old September 30th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:22:19 -0400, Wizard of Draws
wrote:

I'm 5'9", 155 as of this morning. I asked the doc what BP he was looking for
in order to stop the meds: 100/60.

That doesn't sound right, or even realistic unless you are an athlete
in top shape for competition.

As of the last visit, I was 132/90. This may take quite a few miles, but I

The 90 is on the high side, but the 132 ain't all that bad.

BTW you didn't say what it was to fail the 3rd. According the AOPA
there is no set figure, but anything under 150 over 90 should pass the
third. (Both numbers need to be under)

Roger (K8RI)

will not be on meds for the rest of my life, no way.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old September 30th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Readers of the thread could contribute to start what would be the
longest thread in the site -- The Mx msistatement of fact thread.

In spite of the Mx pontifications, in the United States the medically
accepted threshold for hypertenison is 140/90. Those interested can
verify this with their own research.

In the United States the trigger point for FAA concern for medical
disqualification is 155 over something. Those interested can verify
this with their own reseach as well.

Statements typed by MX are at best mestleading.

There are exceptions, but those are the facts.

On Sep 29, 5:26 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Tina writes:
Readers of the group should know hypertension is commonly defined as
a blood pressure in excess of 140/90.

Well, no. The threshold has been regularly lowered. Now some people are
saying that anything above "normal," which seems to be defined as 120/80, is
hypertension.

The FAA disqualifies those with blood pressures in excess of 155 over
something.

A threshold BP of 155/95 is the FAA's suggestion.

So the universe of those disqualified by the FAA is smaller than the
universe of those who have hypertension.

Not really. If the examiner determines that the applicant is hypertensive,
he's disqualified. The examiner has a certain latitude in this determination,
so one cannot say that a person with a BP of 140/95 (which makes him
hypertensive according to some) will not be disqualified.

Old September 30th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Tina wrote in
ps.com:

Tina writes:
Readers of the group should know hypertension is commonly defined
as a blood pressure in excess of 140/90.

Well, no. The threshold has been regularly lowered. Now some people
are saying that anything above "normal," which seems to be defined as
120/80, is hypertension.

The FAA disqualifies those with blood pressures in excess of 155
over something.

A threshold BP of 155/95 is the FAA's suggestion.

So the universe of those disqualified by the FAA is smaller than
the universe of those who have hypertension.

Not really. If the examiner determines that the applicant is
hypertensive, he's disqualified. The examiner has a certain latitude
in this determination, so one cannot say that a person with a BP of
140/95 (which makes him hypertensive according to some) will not be
disqualified.

Everything MX says is "FACT" - Fully Assinine & Completely Trash.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old September 30th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Tina writes:

In spite of the Mx pontifications, in the United States the medically
accepted threshold for hypertenison is 140/90. Those interested can
verify this with their own research.

I've done so. The threshold varies depending on whom you ask.

In the United States the trigger point for FAA concern for medical
disqualification is 155 over something. Those interested can verify
this with their own reseach as well.

155/95

It's not a "trigger point," though, just a figure suggested in the
documentation. The AME makes the final determination.
Old October 1st 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Tina writes:

In spite of the Mx pontifications, in the United States the medically
accepted threshold for hypertenison is 140/90. Those interested can
verify this with their own research.

I've done so. The threshold varies depending on whom you ask.

In the United States the trigger point for FAA concern for medical
disqualification is 155 over something. Those interested can verify
this with their own reseach as well.

155/95

It's not a "trigger point," though, just a figure suggested in the
documentation. The AME makes the final determination.

Not that any of that matters in your case since you couldn't get a medical
anyway.

Bertie
Old October 1st 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wizard of Draws[_3_]

wrote:

I'm 5'9", 155 as of this morning. I asked the doc what BP he was looking for
in order to stop the meds: 100/60.

That doesn't sound right, or even realistic unless you are an athlete
in top shape for competition.

Well, I'm running 3 miles every other day, so I guess it's theoretically
possible. I'm actually in fairly good shape, just missing a some competitive
edge, that's all. Yeah, that's the ticket.

As of the last visit, I was 132/90. This may take quite a few miles, but I

The 90 is on the high side, but the 132 ain't all that bad.

BTW you didn't say what it was to fail the 3rd. According the AOPA
there is no set figure, but anything under 150 over 90 should pass the
third. (Both numbers need to be under)

There were a lot of numbers being thrown around, so I can't remember
exactly, but I think I started out at 140+/105. It went up every single
time from then on, with the final numbers the next day at 165/115.

Personally, that tells me the primary cause was probably White Coat
Syndrome.

Old October 1st 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:50:15 -0000, Tina
wrote:

I do think arm's length posts to Mx's messages -- those that correct
errors -- are worthwhile but not engaging him in a message exchange is
important. It may not stop him, but newcomers should be warned of
misinformation. Viperdoc tends to do that and Bertie in his subtle way

He gets enough right, that like many of us knows just enough to be
dangerous at least to the uninformed.

does call attention to Mx's lack of credentials from time to time.

Tina, you owe me a new keyboard. Seeing Bertie and subtle in the same
sentence .... I just don't know how to put it into words:-))

Bertie, it might be a good idea to not hold back as much as you do,
that restraint could have an affect on your health.

Yes, it do build stress and could even lead to Migraines, or worse
yet, hypertension. Keep in mind I have less learning than MX,, my
degree is in computer science, I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn
Express last night, and my memory is shot, but I am honest...most of
the time, more or less. Oh! and I am suffering withdrawal symptoms as
I've not been 6 months since I last flew.

There is no charge for this professional advice, Bertie.

Roger (K8RI)

Old October 2nd 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Readers concerned about this may wish to read the FAA's documentation
on the matter of hypertension.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...sion/index.cfm