I learned about flying from this, too...

Old February 6th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default I learned about flying from this, too...

As I read your post, I was thinking that "mistake #1" was not tying down
the aircraft in the first place.

No, "Mistake #1" was landing someplace where you couldn't just say "Tie 'er
up for the night, please." as you drove away in their courtesy car...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

One ****ing check-list mistake splashed a
Concorde.
Ken

That was a joke, right? Please tell me it was.

Yes, correct.

Ken is a joke.

You've just met Ken, right?

Ken's relatively new to me, too.

No way he's really Tarver, is there? Like, cloned or resurrected or
something?

--
Dan

"You have a total of 0 fans and 0 friends."
-Webshots

Old February 6th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Flydive

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Yes, correct.

Ken is a joke.

You've just met Ken, right?

Just had the "pleasure"
Old February 6th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve Hix

In article , Flydive
wrote:

Ken S. Tucker wrote:
rop check... and

NOW THE BIGGY,

review the runway.

Now here's where our little bertie jumps up and
asks "why Ken?". So I says to "bertie", bertie,
(that's what I call bertie), how do you wreck a
Concorde?

The USN carrier procedure is to review the flight
deck prior to every flight, suckin' up a washer is
not fun, a nut is worse (no offense bertie).

It's a ****-up that the Concorde pilot whose
plane dislodged runway debris, failed to review
his runway and killed himself, all his passengers
and destroyed an expensive A/C.

If that pilot had followed his check-list...well,
things would have been better, the aircraft
would have done a routine flight, the debris
would have been removed prior to take-off.

I mentioned previously, I walk the runways,
(with controller permission), to ascertain
quality and remove debris, i'm a bit tight but
I'll skid a shoe on it to get a friction feel, in
case of some need for a cross wind adherence,
at touch down.

One ****ing check-list mistake splashed a
Concorde.
Ken

That was a joke, right? Please tell me it was.

I didn't know that simulators let you do a FOD-walk before your "flight".
Old February 6th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Flydive

Steve Hix wrote:

I didn't know that simulators let you do a FOD-walk before your "flight".

Was tha ment for Mxsmanic?

The only Sim I fly is at Bombardier training in CYUL, once a year.
Old February 6th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tom C

Yeah, tha'ts on my checklist, I know. .

Leessee,
Flight Controls, checked
Flaps 15 selected
Briefing, reviewed.
Radar. On, taws.
Runway, check to see if Ken is running around on it.
Checks complete.

The weasel that got sucked into a jet engine? Hey, when is the last time
something got sucked through the prop into a Lycoming?

Tom C

Old February 6th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

On Feb 6, 1:03 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
It's a ****-up that the Concorde pilot whose
plane dislodged runway debris, failed to review
his runway and killed himself, all his passengers
and destroyed an expensive A/C.

There was no "Runway Walk Inspection" on his checklist.

I mentioned previously, I walk the runways,
(with controller permission), to ascertain
quality and remove debris, i'm a bit tight but
I'll skid a shoe on it to get a friction feel, in
case of some need for a cross wind adherence,
at touch down.

No, you don't do any such thing. Controllers don't allow it.
Can you imagine a busy airport with pilots walking around on the
runway between takeoffs every minute or so? What a plan for disaster.
"Airliner Crashes While Trying To Avoid Pilot Strolling On Runway"

DAn

Old February 6th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve Hix

In article , Flydive
wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:

I didn't know that simulators let you do a FOD-walk before your "flight".

Was tha ment for Mxsmanic?

Yep.

The only Sim I fly is at Bombardier training in CYUL, once a year.

Sounds like fun, actually.

The last actual simulator I had anything to do with was for the Dassault
Falcon 20, built by Singer-Link, about 32 years ago. I think it was
controlled by a PDP-11/70 ... wonder what it might be equivalent to
today.
Old February 6th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bob F.

"Steve Hix" wrote in message
In article , Flydive
wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:

I didn't know that simulators let you do a FOD-walk before your
"flight".

Was tha ment for Mxsmanic?

Yep.

The only Sim I fly is at Bombardier training in CYUL, once a year.

Sounds like fun, actually.

The last actual simulator I had anything to do with was for the Dassault
Falcon 20, built by Singer-Link, about 32 years ago. I think it was
controlled by a PDP-11/70 ... wonder what it might be equivalent to
today.

I flew the same config at Flight Safety LGA Marine Air Terminal about 1969.

Bob F.

Old February 6th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Ken S. Tucker

On Feb 6, 11:18 am, wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:03 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

It's a ****-up that the Concorde pilot whose
plane dislodged runway debris, failed to review
his runway and killed himself, all his passengers
and destroyed an expensive A/C.

There was no "Runway Walk Inspection" on his checklist.

I mentioned previously, I walk the runways,
(with controller permission), to ascertain
quality and remove debris, i'm a bit tight but
I'll skid a shoe on it to get a friction feel, in
case of some need for a cross wind adherence,
at touch down.

No, you don't do any such thing. Controllers don't allow it.

They did at Oshawa Airport, it's not busy.
Many airports don't have controllers, like Emsdale.

Can you imagine a busy airport with pilots walking around on the
runway between takeoffs every minute or so? What a plan for disaster.
"Airliner Crashes While Trying To Avoid Pilot Strolling On Runway"

Mr. BIG HEAD, CONCORDE CRASHED BECAUSE
RUNWAY NOT INSPECTED!!
I bet you're a weirdo who thinks the moon landing
was faked too!

I almost hit a flock of birds, following rotation,
on my checklist was added, watch for berties.
The runway was well treed on both sides and
my bird must have scared them up, and they
flocked over the runway.
I flattened the descent and eased back the
throttle. I was fortunate to have an IP in the
right seat. I was too damn busy looking at
the instruments to see that hazard.
Ken