Do you allow landings on short fields?

Old July 8th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Marty Shapiro

Default Do you allow landings on short fields?

Sylvain wrote in
:

Michael wrote:

How exactly does a commercial certificate help? In my experience,
commercial pilots are NOT better pilots than private pilots with the
same number of hours.

well, it could be argued that someone who worked towards a commercial
ticket has had a lot more recurrent training -- and demonstrated a
greater interest in improving his/her knowledge and skills -- than
someone who spent the same number of hours making holes in the sky...
the number of hours doesn't tell the whole story either.

but seriously, one could also wonder how someone who cannot land a
small aircraft -- I presume that's what we are talking about -- on a
2000' runway managed to get a private certificate in the first
place...

I am not really sure how a club/FBO could improve their safety records
via just imposing more arbitrary rules that are a pain in the neck to
the majority of pilots who would be doing just fine without them;
there are 'problem pilots' out there -- I can think of one guy
hanging around on my local field who managed to run out of fuel in
one incident, do a gear up landing in another, and who knows what
else -- and we kind of all know who they are; not much an issue of
number of hours or ratings as you point out, but of attitude; not
even sure recurrent training would do the trick either...

--Sylvain

Are you referring to the guy who did a gear up in SQ2's Arrow 33807 a few
years ago? If so, he is a real terror. He has run an Arrow out of fuel at
least 2 times. One time he managed to badly damage his son for life. Yet
he doesn't learn. I once had an Arrow 7526J reserved for an Angel Flight.
He returns the aircraft late (around 11:15 AM, it was due back 8 PM the
night before), totally unapologetic, and with less than 0.3 gallons of
usable fuel. Not a typo. We put slightly over 47.7 gallons in to top it
off. Even the fuel truck operator couldn't believe it. (I don't want to
put the specifics in the public forum, so I sent this to you as a private
email.)

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

Old July 8th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Sylvain

Marty Shapiro wrote:

Are you referring to the guy

sounds like him (except that it was an Archer and not an Arrow that
he ued to run out of gas with his kid... sorry to hear the kid was
hurt though); I know, I was supposed to fly the dang aircraft next

--Sylvain

ps by the way, the email address in the header won't work anymore; use
giraldus at yahoo

Old July 8th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Ron Natalie

Sylvain wrote:

Too bad that the only interaction most pilots -- I am talking renters
here, I presume that owners would be more involved -- have with the
nice folks who maintain our aircraft is via the squawk list...

Some owners are active with their mechanics, some aren't.

My mechanic divides her customers into two groups. Aircraft
owners who will turn a wrench on their plane and those who are
"just pilots."

A guy came into the shop one day and said he thought the battery
was shot in his plane. We were sitting in the back eating lunch
and she told him to bring it in and she'd test it. There was a
blank stare and then she realized, "You're just a pilot. Ron,
go help him take his battery out."

What is a "short field" for a PA28-181 Roy Page Owning 79 November 24th 04 12:11 PM
Short field in a Mooney AJW Piloting 0 September 26th 04 04:47 AM
Night landings vs. day landings Gerald Sylvester Piloting 15 February 12th 04 06:38 AM
Tailwheel endorsement John Harper Piloting 58 December 12th 03 01:48 PM