Tow Pilot Currency

Old April 7th 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

Default Tow Pilot Currency

Is it true a PPL tow pilot needs to fly and log an endorsement with a
current and qualified tow pilot every 12 months (three flights) to be
current? I've read 61.69 and that's what it seems to say.
Old April 7th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

At 20:39 07 April 2009, 150flivver wrote:
Is it true a PPL tow pilot needs to fly and log an endorsement with a
current and qualified tow pilot every 12 months (three flights) to be
current? I've read 61.69 and that's what it seems to say.

Yes, almost. 61.69(a)(6) deals with towpilot currency. The towpilot has
two choices to be current:

(i) Made at least three actual or simulated tows of a glider or unpowered
ultralight vehicle while accompanied by a qualified pilot who meets the
requirements of this section; or

(ii) Made at least three flights as pilot in command of a glider or
unpowered ultralight vehicle towed by an aircraft.

Note that no endorsement is required. If the towpilot is not able to fly
a glider as PIC then they must ride with another current towpilot. this
applies whether the towpilot has a Private, Commercial, or ATP
Certificate.

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Old April 8th 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

We require our tow pilots to be glider pilots and to have made the three
flights in a glider. This is a club operation.

(I know you didn't ask, but it seems better to us for the tow pilot to
have experience at both ends of the rope.)

At 22:00 07 April 2009, 150flivver wrote:
On Apr 7, 4:00=A0pm, Tony Condon
wrote:
At 20:39 07 April 2009, 150flivver wrote:

Is it true a PPL tow pilot needs to fly and log an endorsement with a
current and qualified tow pilot every 12 months (three flights) to be
current? =A0I've read 61.69 and that's what it seems to say.

Yes, almost. =A061.69(a)(6) deals with towpilot currency. =A0The

towpilot=
has
two choices to be current:

(i) Made at least three actual or simulated tows of a glider or

unpowered
ultralight vehicle while accompanied by a qualified pilot who meets

the
requirements of this section; or

(ii) Made at least three flights as pilot in command of a glider or
unpowered ultralight vehicle towed by an aircraft.

Note that no endorsement is required. =A0If the towpilot is not able

f=
ly
a glider as PIC then they must ride with another current towpilot.

=A0thi=

Old April 9th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

That is also our club policy.
A tow ship in a small club is a valuable commodity.

Old April 9th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message

We require our tow pilots to be glider pilots and to have made the three
flights in a glider. *This is a club operation.

(I know you didn't ask, but it seems better to us for the tow pilot to
have experience at both ends of the rope.)

I agree that glider experience is a plus for a tow pilot but not
necessary. The problem our club has is having a tow pilot available
when needed. Many of the glider pilots in our club are not power
rated and some that are have let their medicals lapse and stick to
gliding. To entice some to tow we compensate them with free glider
time. I currently am hoping to get my glider rating this year but I
tow so much that I rarely am free when there's another tow pilot
available.