tow plane 100 hour inspections

Old May 17th 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

Default tow plane 100 hour inspections

Are tow planes required to have a current 100 hour inspection? Does it matter if it's a club or a commercial operation operating the tow plane? I thought I knew the answer but just came home after a knock down drag out "discussion" with our A&Ps.
Old May 17th 12, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On May 16, 7:19*pm, 150flivver wrote:
Are tow planes required to have a current 100 hour inspection? *Does it matter if it's a club or a commercial operation operating the tow plane? *I thought I knew the answer but just came home after a knock down drag out "discussion" with our A&Ps.

It depends. Aircraft used in a commercial for hire operation require
100hr inspections if they carry the pax or the student renting for
training.

FAA has already decided that a tow plane is not carrying pax in a
glider ride for hire operation, the paying customer is back in the
glider not the tow plane. That's why private pilots can tow in a
commercial operation.

If you have a two seat tow plane and it is "rented for training tow
pilots" then it may require the 100hr. If you offer the tow plane for
free tow qualification flights, then I would expect that the tow is
not required.

JMHO
Old May 18th 12, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

(For USA readers.)
Take your current FAR book (I like the ASA brand) to your mechanics
and show them FAR 91.409 (b) under "Inspections".
The key words in the regulation are "for hire in an aircraft". It
says nothing about "rented" aircraft.
The towplane is not "carrying" the passenger that is in the glider.
The glider wings do that work.
If the glider is used "for hire" then it will need a 100 hour
inspection, so keep accurate daily flight logs.

I am curious . . . what is the basis that your mechanics think the
towplane must have a 100 hour inspection?
Has your local FAA office sent them a memo?
Is the club also using he towplane to carry passengers for hire or
give flight instruction for hire?
If so, then they are correct.

For what it is worth, I have my mechanic do non-required or
"preventative" maintenance every hundred hours or so, especially when
I'm out of town and the towplanes are sitting dormant, like when I
trailer my restored ASK-13 sailplane across the USA to the
International Vintage Sailplane Meet (IVSM) on Harris Hill near
Elmira, NY this June 30 - July 7. (A plug for a wonderful event!)

Perhaps he will time the mags, change the plugs, replace brake pads,
check flap rollers, change a tire or two, wiggle things . . .
Don't be surprised at what they might find so budget for it (i.e.
charge accordingly.) Identifying problems early will likely save you
time and money on the required annual inspection.
I figure my towplane does four takeoffs and landings in an hour. 400
or more cycles in one hundred hours.
That's a lot of hot and cold cycles for the engine, wear and tear on
everything else.
That's more cycles than most general aviation airplanes NOT used for
hire.
Consider being prudent with your towplane maintenance but as far as
the FAA is concerned, 91.409 (b) is the bottom line.

Burt
Marfa Gliders Soaring Center, west Texas
USA

Old May 18th 12, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

Thanks for the responses. It is as I thought. I believe many are mistaken in thinking any aircraft used for commercial purposes requires a 100-hour inspection but 91.409 is actually much more specific.

Grob 103 3000 Hour Inspections Jim Kellett Soaring 1 October 20th 09 12:52 PM
C-172 $20 / hour! C-210 $30 / hour! I found my new job... Ricky Piloting 9 February 14th 08 02:01 PM
100 Hour Inspections Judah Piloting 26 December 1st 06 02:30 PM
Homebuilt Inspections john smith Home Built 8 December 25th 04 02:20 PM
Pre-buy inspections Paul Folbrecht Owning 12 March 1st 04 12:27 AM