Uvalde fatality

Old August 8th 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default Uvalde fatality

On Aug 5, 10:48*am, 150flivver wrote:
Just saw on the AOPA site that there was a glider fatality at the
contest in Uvalde TX yesterday, the 4th..

This is the second contest mid-air that I'm aware of this summer.

As I understand things, contestants are required to have parachutes,
spending $1-2000 for a parachute, mostly in case of a midair;
radios are only slight less expensive;
Everyone has at least one flight computer, usually at greater cost;
and of course everyone is required to have a GPS logger.
a FLARM unit is under $1000.

There is no defensible rationale for failing to require everyone
flying contests to be equipped with an operating FLARM device. It
contributes more to safety than all the other pieces combined.
Old August 8th 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Aug 7, 5:27*pm, danlj wrote:
On Aug 5, 10:48*am, 150flivver wrote:

Just saw on the AOPA site that there was a glider fatality at the
contest in Uvalde TX yesterday, the 4th..

This is the second contest mid-air that I'm aware of this summer.

As I understand things, contestants are required to have parachutes,
spending $1-2000 for a parachute, mostly in case of a midair;
radios are only slight less expensive;
Everyone has at least one flight computer, usually at greater cost;
and of course everyone is required to have a GPS logger.
a FLARM unit is under $1000.

There is no defensible rationale for failing to require everyone
flying contests to be equipped with an operating FLARM device. It
contributes more to safety than all the other pieces combined.

From the blog www.soaring.eu is this perfect example of how we are to
respond to these events:

“keep gliding, keep smiling” was the message on the last briefing!
And ..they are right. Of course we all do ……..maybe not Alexanders
wife and family.
Mixed feelings…….Sad and good ones. First of all there was the
accident with Alexander, who leaves a wife and children. Though I
know the organization was strong and good, they must be feeling a bit
disappointed as well, it is NOT their fault that a pilots dies and it
is not the first time either during a competition, it is not their
fault that pilots sometimes fly aggressive to win and cause mid airs
and nearly mid-airs, it is not their fault that a pilot ”jumps” over a
fence and injures his back, but in the future history this 31 WGC will
be remembered as well by what has happened. And now I think of it we
had in both those comps a fatal accident as well. An AKA-flieg pilot
from Germany during the practise in Bayreuth, I was there and Anssi
Passila the nice young fellow from Finland, in Uvalde, I was there as
well.
BUT…with a great day as today is it nice to finish a competition ”on a
high”, with a big party.

Also on that blog is the rumors that the truck driver is in his early
30's with a young family and was permanently blinded. "BUT…with a

Old August 9th 10, 05:09 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianDG303[_2_] View Post
On Aug 6, 1:21*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
When Chris started a new magazine (Soaring Pilot) *a few years back,
he asked me to write a colum titled (In the Barn) where I would tell
the tale of the last flight of a ship that ended up in my spare parts
barn. Sadly, Chris's ship now has a tale to tell of its last flight.
This is a beautiful sport, but it can bite you.
Rest in peace old friend, I'll meet you under that distant Cu, some
day.
JJ

That makes 4 fatal glider accidents in the US alone in 4 weeks.
Is there somewhere where one can identify these accidents and their potential causes? I follow gliding quite closely and I would presume that unless the accident was at a national meet such as O'C's or local to you, it would not get much national coverage. Please advise if you can as the location and nature of the other three accidents within the last four weeks.

Walt
Old August 9th 10, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Aug 9, 9:09*am, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:

--
Walt Connelly

Google NTSB
then hit Aviation
then hit Accident Database & Synopses

this will give you a lot of information in it's database but does not
usually mention CONTEST which seems to be a big factor in accidents.
Old August 9th 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 9, 12:09*pm, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
'brianDG303[_2_ Wrote:

[...]

Tom Knauff did an article on the subject that was published in the
last couple months in Soaring magazine which looked back about 10
years on accident causes.
Worth reading.
UH
Old August 9th 10, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

wrote:
'brianDG303[_2_ Wrote:

[...]

Look at the dates of the accidents and see how many you can correlate
to contest dates and draw your own conclusions. Cindy B had a
convention talk on what the reports don't tell you. I can tell you
that the true facts of some accidents don't emerge until years later
and never make it to the database.

Preliminary reports appear on the FAA web site for ten days before
they move to the NTSB site. Not all incidents and accidents appear, a
point a friend and I were musing over recently. Could be there's a
public/private switch on a record so it's suppressed from public view
in some cases.

If you look at today's prelims on the FAA site, you will see the HK36
Dimona fatal in Oregon and a group looped L-33 on a lake bed in
California. If you check daily you will be astonished.

Frank Whiteley
Old August 10th 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane

Since the NTSB database is searchable, you can look for "contest" or
"race" to get accidents in contests.

I did this a while back for a SSA convention talk, and put together
the numbers up to 2002,

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john...est_safety.ppt

The numbers need an update. Many non-injury crashes don't get
reported, so this is an undercount of course

John Cochrane
Old August 10th 10, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 8/7/2010 5:27 PM, danlj wrote:
On Aug 5, 10:48 am, wrote:

Just saw on the AOPA site that there was a glider fatality at the
contest in Uvalde TX yesterday, the 4th..

This is the second contest mid-air that I'm aware of this summer.

As I understand things, contestants are required to have parachutes,
spending $1-2000 for a parachute, mostly in case of a midair;
radios are only slight less expensive;
Everyone has at least one flight computer, usually at greater cost;
and of course everyone is required to have a GPS logger.
a FLARM unit is under $1000.

There is no defensible rationale for failing to require everyone
flying contests to be equipped with an operating FLARM device. It
contributes more to safety than all the other pieces combined.

The rationale is it is not available in the USA now or in the past. The
PowerFlarm will be available in time for next year's contests, but at
$1600, not $1000; still, that is close enough the idea should be pursued.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

FATALITY IN SO. CAL. Vorsanger1 Soaring 5 September 18th 09 03:32 PM
Yet another fatality.... Bob Soaring 2 October 5th 06 06:09 AM
Fatality at AirSailing James D'Andrea Soaring 4 July 21st 05 03:00 AM
Gliding Fatality in Vic, Aus. elZee Soaring 4 April 1st 05 11:55 AM
Fatality at Airsailing Dusty Soaring 1 May 9th 04 07:06 PM