ATC Tape

Old May 1st 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default ATC Tape

Gord Beaman wrote:

I don't say that it's not 'proper' (it indeed is proper, correct
whatever) BUT it's just not done much.

It´s me again, the OP of this thread.

I fly for a mayor German airline and I also agree with you, that I never
heard anybody saying "Mayday" on radio (but I did not hear anybody
declaring an emergency either).

However, we are teaching our pilots to use this "proper" word for an
emergency situation. It simply works much better in the
non-native-english countries my company is flying to.

That was also the reason I was looking for the ATC Tape in the Internet,
so far, no joy.

If you want to read about it, go to:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...18/ai_n6280435

Greetings
Steffen
----------
Antworten/ Reply: SteffenBraasch(at)gmx.de
Old May 1st 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Gord Beaman wrote:

I've NEVER heard any pilot say
"Mayday" on air ever, not once in all that time!, not

Have I got a recording for you. A few weeks ago a cargo Caravan was
crossing over Buffalo, NY, en route up to Maine, when the aircraft rolled
and entered an uncontrolled descent for a few minutes. The pilot screamed
"Mayday" several times before eventually regaining control of the
(apparently) iced up aircraft.

Let me know if you see this (the site normally requires a userid to see the
clips, but I am going to try to deep-link the audio clip):

About 8mb:

http://www.liveatc.net/forum/files/k...ce_791_489.mp3

If you cannot see this clip, let me know and I will post it to my website.

--
Peter
Old May 1st 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

"Peter R." wrote:

Gord Beaman wrote:

I've NEVER heard any pilot say
"Mayday" on air ever, not once in all that time!, not

Have I got a recording for you. A few weeks ago a cargo Caravan was
crossing over Buffalo, NY, en route up to Maine, when the aircraft rolled
and entered an uncontrolled descent for a few minutes. The pilot screamed
"Mayday" several times before eventually regaining control of the
(apparently) iced up aircraft.

Let me know if you see this (the site normally requires a userid to see the
clips, but I am going to try to deep-link the audio clip):

About 8mb:

http://www.liveatc.net/forum/files/k...ce_791_489.mp3

If you cannot see this clip, let me know and I will post it to my website.

No, it won't work Peter...I get:

Action canceled
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you
requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

There you go...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old May 1st 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Gord Beaman wrote:

No, it won't work Peter...I get:

Action canceled
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you
requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

There you go...

OK, Gord, let me post it to my site, then drop a link here. Standby.

--
Peter
Old May 1st 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Gord Beaman wrote:

No, it won't work Peter...I get:

Action canceled
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you
requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

There you go...

OK, here it is:

http://thericcs.net/aviation/misc/Ca...g_Incident.mp3

--
Peter
Old May 2nd 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

"Peter R." wrote:

Gord Beaman wrote:

No, it won't work Peter...I get:

Action canceled
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you
requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

There you go...

OK, here it is:

http://thericcs.net/aviation/misc/Ca...g_Incident.mp3

Ok Peter, that works fine, thanks, poor gal sure had her troubles
didn't she? iced up at 10k and probably stalled it...guess she
made it home ok though...first 'mayday' I ever heard (of) on
air/ground VHF though.

Not sure how smart she was to press on for Bangor though (~500
miles?) vice landing at the airport near her position to sort
things out first.

I think that I may have told a fib about Alaska Air flt 261
though...the Capt did say 'mayday', just one word, near the end
of the tape (bone chilling episode for sure)...this is a
transcript of the ATC/maintenance talking to the aircraft
(transcribed from the CVR recovered from the crash site.
Here's the URL:
http://aviation-safety.net/investiga...cvr_asa261.pdf

--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old May 2nd 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Gord Beaman wrote:

Ok Peter, that works fine, thanks, poor gal sure had her troubles
didn't she? iced up at 10k and probably stalled it...guess she
made it home ok though...first 'mayday' I ever heard (of) on
air/ground VHF though.

That was actually the second aircraft in two weeks over Buffalo that had
serious icing problems. The first was a Lear Jet returning to Buffalo from
Toronto. In this case, the aircraft entered an uncontrolled climb from
4,000 to 12,000 feet, most likely due to ice on the horizontal stabilizer.

This incident was also captured in the LiveATC.net's archives and can be
found as a separate audio file in LiveATC's Audio Clips forum. In this
case, however, the pilot did not use the word, "mayday."

There is also an example of a "pan-pan" in the LiveATC Audio Clips forum.
This one was declared by a KLM 747 pilot who was on the ILS right behind
the Airbus that ran off the runway at Toronto's Pearson airport last year.
Due to the airport closing for that period because of the accident, the
pilots expressed low fuel concerns and declared "pan-pan."

--
Peter
Old May 3rd 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

"Peter R." wrote:

Gord Beaman wrote:

[...]

Thanks Peter...I was just running it here when my wife stuck her
nose in and said "Whatcha listening to?", then in fast order,
"turn that up!, is that real?? etc"...made me run it a couple of
times. Maybe I'm getting her hooked on things aeronautical?..
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old May 3rd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Gord Beaman wrote:

Thanks Peter...I was just running it here when my wife stuck her
nose in and said "Whatcha listening to?", then in fast order,
"turn that up!, is that real?? etc"...made me run it a couple of
times. Maybe I'm getting her hooked on things aeronautical?..

Yep, there's a lot of drama in those recordings, if you know the lingo.
Fortunately, all ended well in those cases. As you posted earlier,
however, the audio takes on an extra chilling quality when we know the
pilot and aircraft didn't make it.

--
Peter
Old May 3rd 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:58:29 GMT, Gord Beaman
wrote:

I've heard a Pan or a Mayday, forget which. A light aircraft lost
a prop blade,

///

Ok, fine, but how would you rate the number of occurrences of
that to the occurrences of "Ah...Boston Centre...SouthWest flt
908 heavy...ah...we've had an engine fire here, seems to be under
control...we'd like to declare an emergency and divert to..."
(?). Calm, businesslike...

I don't say that it's not 'proper' (it indeed is proper, correct
whatever) BUT it's just not done much.

I recall asking a veteran Delta captain for his moments,
experienced or heard, and he couldn't recall one worth mentioning. He
said.....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

60 Year Old Duct Tape Jay Honeck Piloting 11 January 15th 06 06:52 PM
Gap Tape TJ Soaring 0 October 22nd 05 04:18 AM
Teflon gap seal tape... Marc Ramsey Soaring 10 April 3rd 05 04:35 PM
TURBULATOR TAPE ON VENTUS B Ventus B Soaring 5 February 18th 04 08:27 PM
Premium 3M (483) Poly Tape Soaring 1 November 27th 03 05:41 AM