SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS

Old July 2nd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5 ugly

Default SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS

The discussion on the SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS has been interesting.
I know that the US team committee is currently looking into this very
subject and has a very interesting article written by Dan Cole
addressing the Sports Class going forward.
I have owned an LS1-f for two years, flown several SPORTS CLASS
contest and have the following thoughts!
The US followed the guidelines of the world community when it
structured the standard class, 15 Meter class, 18 Meter class, Open
class, PW-5 class, etc. We follow the letter of the law concerning wing
span, wing loading, flaps, no flaps and so on. Why have we not followed
the international community when it comes to the CLUB CLASS/SPORTS
CLASS? Every glider that flew in the SPORTS CLASS Nationals this year
already has it's own class except the CLUB CLASS Glider. Why have we
dropped the ball? We don't mix up other classes the way we do the
SPORTS CLASS.
Can you imagine the uproar that would be heard if we allowed an 18
Meter glider to fly in the Standard Class with a handicap! It just
doesn't make since to try and roll gliders with a huge difference in
performance into one class.
The question of pilot performance is always brought up. Some say
that if you don't allow the modern day glider into our SPORTS CLASS
that no one would attend.That the GOOD PILOTS only fly the best
gliders. Well, If a CLUB CLASS GLIDER is not required why fly one? The
newer gliders not only perform better but handle better and are more
fun to fly. Why invest in a CLUB CLASS GLIDER when you don't have too?
Everyone would rather zip around in a fast V2 rather than a Std.
Cirrus. I personally feel that if a CLUB CLASS GLIDER were required the
class would flourish and be just as big as it is now with top name
pilots in just a few short years.
There are a lot of CLUB CLASS GLIDER pilots in the US that
don't attend the Sports Class Nationals because they don't feel they
fit in. These pilots are not flying against gliders of the same
performance. I know on weekends most pilots fly with other pilots that
have a similar ship and are similar in piloting skills.
The International team for the CLUB CLASS in the US is chosen
from the SPORTS CLASS Nationals. This means that you can win the Sports
Class Nationals in an open Class glider then be required to compete
internationally in a standard Cirrus. What a difference!! Can this open
class pilot really do his best to represent the US when he has never
flown a contest in a CLUB CLASS GLIDER? Is it fair to ask the pilot to
even try? Some of our CLUB CLASS team will be going to compete in the
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS in gliders that they have very little experience!!
One qualified for the team flying a K-6 and will be flying a LS1-C and
another qualified by flying a V2 and will be flying a Standard Cirrus.
Neither the V2 or K-6 are CLUB CLASS GLIDERS. It seems to me that we
are putting a heavy burdon on these pilots. I am sure there are cases
when a pilot can make the adjustment to a lesser performance or higher
performance glider quickly. However this is a question that can't be
answered till the World Championships is over.
Enough said. I would like to support the idea that Tom Knaff
put forth. Any glider can enter the SPORTS CLASS NATIONALS. Any glider
can be SPORTS CLASS NATIONAL Champion. Everyone can enter. BUT only
the pilots that fly a CLUB CLASS GLIDER as defined by the International
Gliding Community will be concidered for the US CLUB CLASS TEAM. This
way everyone wins!