Question about TRSA - KPSP

Old May 21st 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default Question about TRSA - KPSP

wrote in message

Yes that is a good point. I guess we can call it TRSA SPAM since we
have to "OPT out." :) They way the controllers handle it is that if
you contact tower they switch you to approch unless you "OPT out."
Just the fact that you are contacting them they then assume you want
TRSA services. I guess if you look at it from a safety point of view
then the "OPT out" method might be in everyones best interest. But
ultimately it is your choice.

FAA Order 7110.65 contains the note below under TRSA Departure Information.
It says nothing at all about TRSA arrivals.

NOTE-
Departing aircraft are assumed to want TRSA service unless the pilot states,
"negative TRSA service," or makes a similar comment. Pilots are expected to
inform the controller of intended destination and/or route of flight and
altitude.

Old May 21st 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default ATC phraseology in training

Jay Maynard writes:

Part of the good stuff about the simulator is that it has simulated air
traffic, settable by the instructor - and the student controls it by talking
just as he would on the radio. Most voice recognition systems have a limited
vocabulary. This one turns that into a featu if the student doesn't use
the proper phraseology, the system doesn't recognize it. I don't know if it
silently ignores it, or returns a "huh?"; I didn't try that - but when I
told it "American 1446, cleared to land runway three two left", it had no
trouble dealing with that. Nifty. Students come out of that class with the
proper language ingrained.

Try VATSIM.
Old May 21st 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jim Logajan writes:

Interesting. I previously hadn't noticed the unusual language order that is
required. I believe the dominant sentence structure in English is subject-
verb-object (SVO).

In this case, it is not a complete sentence, however. It is just a string of
sentence fragments.
Old May 21st 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Tue, 20 May 2008 20:38:23 -0500, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
. ..

Interesting. I previously hadn't noticed the unusual language order that
is
required. I believe the dominant sentence structure in English is subject-
verb-object (SVO). Unless I'm mistaken (probably!) the phrasing of that
imperative is in SOV order. I suppose the FAA has a sound reason for
requiring such an unusual ordering.

I don't know what the reasoning was, to the best of my knowledge that
phraseology has been unchanged for at least fifteen years. In recent
history the requirements imposed by FAA orders have been void of sound
reasoning.

Recent history?
Old May 21st 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pgbnh

Wow. I am feeling really dumb. I thought that all the TRSA's went away and
became either ARSA's or nothing when the airspace was reclassified many
years ago.
wrote in message
The other day I was flying to KPSP (Palm Springs, CA, Class D) which
is in a TRSA which I was not participating in. I was about 10 miles
out and called tower to get setup for landing and they told me to
contact approach. I switch to approach and told them I wanted to land
and the controller started freaking out on me saying I should have
called him a long time ago, etc..... I was then sequenced to land and
all was fine.... My question is that since TRSA is voluntary why did
the tower switch me to Approach. I flyout out of another Class D
airport and everything is handled with the tower. I thought I was
doint things correctly... Thanks for your help.

Old May 22nd 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:01:16 -0400, "pgbnh"
wrote:

Wow. I am feeling really dumb. I thought that all the TRSA's went away and
became either ARSA's or nothing when the airspace was reclassified many
years ago.

We still have a few in the Northeast.

Great DE oral fodder. G
Old May 22nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

wrote in message

Yes that is a good point. I guess we can call it TRSA SPAM since we
have to "OPT out." :) They way the controllers handle it is that if
you contact tower they switch you to approch unless you "OPT out."
Just the fact that you are contacting them they then assume you want
TRSA services. I guess if you look at it from a safety point of view
then the "OPT out" method might be in everyones best interest. But
ultimately it is your choice.

Departures have to "opt out" of TRSA services, but not arrivals.

FAA Order 7110.65 contains the note below under TRSA Departure Information.
It says nothing at all about TRSA arrivals.

NOTE-
Departing aircraft are assumed to want TRSA service unless the pilot states,
"negative TRSA service," or makes a similar comment. Pilots are expected to
inform the controller of intended destination and/or route of flight and
altitude.

When you're departing it's unknown if you want TRSA services, wanting them
has been deemed to be the default condition. Tower controllers are
instructed to assume departure aircraft want them unless the pilot declines.

But there's no similar mystery with arrival aircraft. If the arriving pilot
contacts the tower without first having called approach it should be assumed
he's not interested in TRSA services because he would have called approach
if he wanted them. If the pilot contacts approach it should be assumed he
wants TRSA services because he wouldn't be calling approach if he didn't
want them.

Old May 22nd 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

"pgbnh" wrote in message
. ..

Really? I am in the Northeast - where are the TRSA's?

Utica NY, Elmira NY, Wilkes-Barre PA, Harrisburg PA, Erie PA, but I suppose
it depends on what you consider the Northeast to be.

Old May 22nd 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Thu, 22 May 2008 12:30:28 -0400, "pgbnh"
wrote:

Really? I am in the Northeast - where are the TRSA's?

Utica, Binghamton, Elmira, and Scranton. All are on the NY VFR
Sectional.

Got charts? G