Club Class

Old December 17th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5 ugly

Default Club Class

After working very hard to promote the Club Class I found that the
powers to be were not interested. The RC waits for a sign of interest
from the masses while not encouraging the masses to be interested!
Partial blame must also rest with pilots who own and fly Club Class
glider. This group is the largest single group of gliders in the US.
There are more Club Class gliders in the US than all other classes
combined. You must want change in order to get change. 5U
Old December 17th 11, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Dec 17, 11:36*am, 5 ugly wrote:
After working very hard to promote the Club Class I found that the
powers to be were not interested. The RC waits for a sign of interest
from the masses while not encouraging the masses to be interested!
Partial blame must also rest with pilots who own and fly Club Class
glider. This group is the largest single group of gliders in the US.
There are more Club Class gliders in the US than all other classes
combined. You must want change in order to get change. 5U

As the "new kid on the RC" when this started I must vigorously
disagree that the "powers that be were not interested." I and others
on the RC would like nothing more that for every national contest to
be oversubscribed and there to be waiting lists at regionals. In a
situation like this creating a new class is a no-brainer. Alas, this
is not the case in our sport. Participation at the national level is
decreasing and overall is barely holding its own. Contest organizers
sturggle to break even.

The RC has the responsibility to avoid actions that further fragment
and possible disenfranchise current competitors (the non-clib sports
class participants).

So the question remains wrt club class interest: "Over the past few
years, how many pilots flew their first contest and flew a club class
glider?"
Old December 17th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5 ugly

On Dec 17, 11:47*am, "John Godfrey (QT)"
wrote:
On Dec 17, 11:36*am, 5 ugly wrote:

[...]

Please know John that the time you guys put in for the SSA is much
appreciated. Thank goodness for you dedication and efforts. I am just
giving you the way I see it. Also know that I speak for no one else
but myself
That being said I must point out that the current powers to be have
been in charge for quite a while and according to you participation
continues to fall, contest organizers struggle to break evenl. Does it
not make since for the RC to try something different, a new direction,
a new way of thinking. I'm done! 5U
Old December 18th 11, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Fidler[_2_]

wrote:

On Dec 17, 11:36*am, 5 ugly wrote:

[...]

It will never change under current control. Sport Class rules and
rating system is the SSA's way of controlling how we handicap gliders
at us contests not flying fai. It will never change considering those
who call the shots on changing the rules.
Old December 18th 11, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

wrote:

On Dec 17, 11:36*am, 5 ugly wrote:

[...]

What are the issues you see with the current handicap system? Allowing
that no handicap system works for all situations, what would you
suggest that we change? The RC did not find a clear trend in the poll
results, so let's get the continuing discussion underway.
Old December 19th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:47:39 -0600, John Godfrey (QT)
wrote:

On Dec 17, 11:36 am, 5 ugly wrote:
[...]

Not sure if this question is rhetorical, but if you're intending to start
a poll, I flew my first contest in 2010 in a club class glider (flying in
Sports Class). In fact, my situation is probably the archetype for "club
class" as I understand it. I flew and actual club-owned club-class
glider. I campaigned this same club glider in the 2011 season as well
(flying one contest ). I subsequently have purchased a club-class
glider which I plan to fly (hopefully more successfully than last year) in
the 2012 season. I am not anticipating an invitation to the US Team
anytime soon, so this isn't really an enticement for me.

That being said, at this point in my racing career, I don't really care
what class I fly in as I'm still learning and have a ways to go before my
position on the leaderboard has anything to do with specific vagaries of
handicapping, etc. I was even approached to fly in Open Class (in the
club's Grob 102) this year in an attempt to create a viable class for the
Region 10 contest. I would have done it, especially considering there
would have been only three gliders (if we could have found the third), and
I would have been guaranteed a trophy . Hopefully the CD would have had
some gigantic turn areas or it would have been a long contest...

Personally, I think having a separate score sheet for club class is a
pretty good compromise, considering the probable further fragmentation
that would occur were club class separated completely. I would love it,
though, if we could somehow get enough participation in both classes to
warrant the separation of sports and club. I am sure I am not alone in
this sentiment.

--
Stefan Murry
Old December 19th 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_2_]

Ok lets start with transparency, where is it? Can anyone tell me the
formula for handicapping gliders?

CH Ventus B (Just outside the club class range)

PS I do believe the club class world team should be formed by people that
actually fly club class gliders year round. Want to fly in club class buy
one!

Old December 19th 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

*I was even approached to fly in Open Class (in the
club's Grob 102) this year in an attempt to create a viable class for the
Region 10 contest. *I would have done it, especially considering there
would have been only three gliders (if we could have found the third), and
I would have been guaranteed a trophy . *Hopefully the CD would have had
some gigantic turn areas or it would have been a long contest...

Stefan Murry

no one asked me!

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in the new bird
Stefan and seeing you at future contests.
Old December 19th 11, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Dec 19, 1:07*pm, Cliff Hilty
wrote:
Ok lets start with transparency, where is it? Can anyone tell me the
formula for handicapping gliders?

CH Ventus B (Just outside the club class range)

PS I do believe the club class world team should be formed by people that
actually fly club class gliders year round. Want to fly in club class buy
one!

its a contest to determine the best pilot not determine glider
ownership
Old December 19th 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

On Dec 19, 12:20*pm, Tony wrote:
On Dec 19, 1:07*pm, Cliff Hilty

wrote:
Ok lets start with transparency, where is it? Can anyone tell me the
formula for handicapping gliders?

CH Ventus B (Just outside the club class range)

PS I do believe the club class world team should be formed by people that
actually fly club class gliders year round. Want to fly in club class buy
one!

its a contest to determine the best pilot not determine glider
ownership

Yes, it should make no difference what a pilot has flown during the
soaring season, but the pilot should fly a club class sailplane,
during a scored club class contest, for inclusion.