Pulse Oximetry with new Apple Watch 6

Old September 15th 20, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dee[_2_]

Default Pulse Oximetry with new Apple Watch 6

Today Apple announced their new $400 Series 6 Apple Watch will have the ability to monitor blood O2 saturation levels (in addition to other medical features). Valuable medical info not only for pilots but for an early indication of pulmonary changes such as seen with COVID-19 infection.

Not sure if their cheaper SE version will have this capability. At least one prior version had similar pulse oximetry capabilities, but the FDA did not approve of its activation. Uncertain if this feature can now be unlocked for that model.
Old September 16th 20, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

This seems to be the year of smart watches adding O2 sensors. Garmin has a whole line of them from $200 to $1200. How does the Apple watch do in direct sunlight as in our cockpits? As a trial I bought an inexpensive smart watch from BangGood which worked fine for reading O2 but was basically unreadable in sunlight.
Old September 16th 20, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 9:23:34 AM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
This seems to be the year of smart watches adding O2 sensors. Garmin has a whole line of them from $200 to $1200. How does the Apple watch do in direct sunlight as in our cockpits? As a trial I bought an inexpensive smart watch from BangGood which worked fine for reading O2 but was basically unreadable in sunlight.

You can buy a finger pulseoximeter at your local pharmacy for far less than a sport watch, very readable under all light conditions. Fitbit has recently added O2 monitoring while you sleep, not sure how utilitarian that might be.

Walt
Old September 16th 20, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Walt,

Agreed generally with two comments;

1) I would prefer a watch that I can glance at randomly than something I have to clip on from time to time.

2) The cheap OLED fingertip models are very hard to read in direct sunlight. The LCD versions are MUCH better in this regard but harder to find.

- John
Old September 16th 20, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

How did we live so long without these $1,200 do-dads?

My $40 Casio watch still tells time after 30 years...

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 22nd 20, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 8:30:05 AM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Walt,

Agreed generally with two comments;

1) I would prefer a watch that I can glance at randomly than something I have to clip on from time to time.

2) The cheap OLED fingertip models are very hard to read in direct sunlight. The LCD versions are MUCH better in this regard but harder to find.

- John

Slip the pulse oximeter on a thumb, press the button, wait a few seconds. Then curl the other fingers on the same hand over the thumb and device to shade the display, assuming your dexterity allows that. Look at it just below those dark sunglasses. Even an OLED display is readable when direct sunlight and sunglasses are not in the way. Then a sub-$20 pulse oximeter is the cockpit instrument with the best return on investment, especially for high altitude flights.
Old September 22nd 20, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 6:23:34 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
This seems to be the year of smart watches adding O2 sensors. Garmin has a whole line of them from $200 to $1200. How does the Apple watch do in direct sunlight as in our cockpits? As a trial I bought an inexpensive smart watch from BangGood which worked fine for reading O2 but was basically unreadable in sunlight.

I just got the Apple Watch 6 and have tried the O2 sensor a couple of times.. It reads within 1% of the fancy and expensive finger O2 sensor thingy.
Close enough. I have not checked its readability in sunlight. I'll do that tomorrow.
Old September 22nd 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Monday, September 21, 2020 at 6:30:18 PM UTC-7, jp wrote:
On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 6:23:34 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
This seems to be the year of smart watches adding O2 sensors. Garmin has a whole line of them from $200 to $1200. How does the Apple watch do in direct sunlight as in our cockpits? As a trial I bought an inexpensive smart watch from BangGood which worked fine for reading O2 but was basically unreadable in sunlight.

I just got the Apple Watch 6 and have tried the O2 sensor a couple of times. It reads within 1% of the fancy and expensive finger O2 sensor thingy.
Close enough. I have not checked its readability in sunlight. I'll do that tomorrow.

Readability in the sunshine is fine. The reading is in a white number on a black blackground. Easily readable.