motorgliders as towplanes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 9th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Default motorgliders as towplanes

On Mar 8, 1:03*pm, Brad wrote:
I know this has come up before in RAS. But thought I would bring up
the subject again.

For a club looking at long term projections, which at some point will
include either sticking a "new" engine on a Pawnee or getting rid of
it, does it make sense to start evaluating getting a 2 place
motorglider to serve as a tug and also as a touring/training tool?

Can a MG tug pull a loaded 2 place Blanik on a standard day at SL,
from a 1800' grass strip? Or perhaps such a tug could be used to tow
the members single place ships, and the heavier/ 2-place ships stow
behind the clubs remaining pawnee?

We are blessed with 3 towplanes in our club, there are upcoming
factors that will/are causing us to look at several different
scenarios and am wondering if tossing a MG into the mix might be one
such solution.

Brad

Brad,

Assuming we are talking about towing with MG in the US; can you get
insurance to do this?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, NC, USA