rover v8 diesel

Old March 5th 05, 06:26 AM
Smokeyone

Default rover v8 diesel

Has anyone looked into the idea of converting the rover/buick ali
block v8 into a diesel. It's something I have been thinking about for
a while but wondered if someone has actually tried it.

Thanks
Smokeyone
Old March 5th 05, 07:36 AM
kumaros

Smokeyone wrote:
Has anyone looked into the idea of converting the rover/buick ali
block v8 into a diesel. It's something I have been thinking about for
a while but wondered if someone has actually tried it.

Thanks
Smokeyone

Why re-invent the wheel?
There are excellent common-rail
turbodiesels on the market from every
major auto manufacturer right now.
Some good examples:

Mercedes Benz V6, aluminum block, ~ 200
kg, 3.0 liters, 224 HP at 4000 RPM, 510
Nm from 1600 to 2800 RPM:
http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...ercedes/1.html

Volkswagen V6, vermicular graphite cast
iron (GGV) block, ~200 kg, 3.0 liters,
225 HP at 4000 RPM, 500 Nm from 1750 to
2800 RPM:
http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...kswagen/1.html

Isuzu V6, aluminum block, 177 HP, used
by a broad sprectrum of GM cars (Saab,
Opel, Vauxhall, Isuzu duh, even the
Renault Espace and Vel Satis):
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/fi...5/story_1.html

Isuzu V8, 300 HP at 3100 RPM, 520 ft-lb
at 1800 RPM, used in all top of the line
GM trucks:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdr...lverado_hd.htm

etc., etc.

All these engines produce about 1 HP per
kg of weight, brute amounts of torque in
the aviation range of RPM's (1800-2800),
they are turbo-normalized, inherently
fuel efficent, and they are right here
right now for a thousand bucks for a
salvaged engine to five to ten thousand
bucks for a crate engine. Not some pie
in the sky Deltahawk for forty thousand
bucks :-(
The devil is in the detail of course,
you have to do your own homework.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old March 5th 05, 12:04 PM
Smokeyone

kumaros wrote in message news:1110008125.672263@athnrd02...
Smokeyone wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the ideas & I have already thought about the deltahawk but
the cost......so now a different question please has anyone looked
into converting an existing ali diesel...........

Smokeyone
Old March 5th 05, 01:34 PM
Morgans

"Smokeyone" wrote

Thanks for the ideas & I have already thought about the deltahawk but
the cost......so now a different question please has anyone looked
into converting an existing ali diesel...........

You gotta be kidding! You think one thousand is too much? You really need
to find a new dream, cause if you cant swing that, you better be looking at
ultra lights or lawn mowers.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 5th 05, 05:46 PM
kumaros

joe_323 wrote:
snipped
GM "converted" a gas V8 to diesel once. It led to mass recalls and
class-action lawsuits IIRC.

Boy are you behind the curve as regards
modern diesels. Go read a little about
modern GM (Isuzu) turbodiesels.
Old March 5th 05, 05:48 PM
flybynightkarmarepair

These engines don't have very good luck at retaining the compression
they run under gas power. The vastly greater compression ratio needed
for diesel operation would make matters much worse.

Plus, converting ANY engine from Gas to Diesel is a "Non-Trival"
exercise.

Give it up.

Old March 5th 05, 07:41 PM
Kyle Boatright

"kumaros" wrote in message
joe_323 wrote:
snipped
GM "converted" a gas V8 to diesel once. It led to mass recalls and
class-action lawsuits IIRC.

Boy are you behind the curve as regards modern diesels. Go read a little
about modern GM (Isuzu) turbodiesels.

I don't think anyone referenced modern diesels or turbodiesels. The
mid-70's disaster that happened when GM reconfigured a gas V8 to a diesel
was pitiful for a company with the engineering resources of GM. My
grandparents' Caddy got a free engine change out of that one. GM actually
paid to rip the diesel out and replace it with a gas engine.

I'd call GM's experience a good data point against converting a gas engine
to diesel...

KB

Old March 6th 05, 01:15 AM
Jason Marshall

joe_323 wrote:
snipped

GM "converted" a gas V8 to diesel once. It led to mass recalls and
class-action lawsuits IIRC.

Boy are you behind the curve as regards modern diesels. Go read a little
about modern GM (Isuzu) turbodiesels.

I don't think anyone referenced modern diesels or turbodiesels. The
mid-70's disaster that happened when GM reconfigured a gas V8 to a diesel
was pitiful for a company with the engineering resources of GM. My
grandparents' Caddy got a free engine change out of that one. GM actually
paid to rip the diesel out and replace it with a gas engine.

I'd call GM's experience a good data point against converting a gas engine
to diesel...

KB

Well here's a (probably) superfluous data point for you. The venerable
4010-4020 John Deere diesel engine started out as a gas job with a
'Roosa Master' injection pump in place of the distributor. Lots of those
engines were used in all sorts of JD tractors and combines. I still use
a 4020 as one of my loader tractors here on the farm. Bought brand
spankin' new by my dad in '69. Earned pistons and sleeves once and God
only knows how many hours it has now.

Superfluous data point 'cause that block started out as one honkin'
overbuilt gas job. JD has slipped so far downhill with the crap they
sell now. So never mind...

Jason
Challenger-II C-IEFQ

Old March 6th 05, 05:11 AM
Ernest Christley

joe_323 wrote:
snipped

GM "converted" a gas V8 to diesel once. It led to mass recalls and
class-action lawsuits IIRC.

Boy are you behind the curve as regards modern diesels. Go read a little
about modern GM (Isuzu) turbodiesels.

I don't think anyone referenced modern diesels or turbodiesels. The
mid-70's disaster that happened when GM reconfigured a gas V8 to a diesel
was pitiful for a company with the engineering resources of GM. My
grandparents' Caddy got a free engine change out of that one. GM actually
paid to rip the diesel out and replace it with a gas engine.

I'd call GM's experience a good data point against converting a gas engine
to diesel...

KB

I think Ford also tried that trick, with similar results. Typical gas
engines have compression ratios of 9:1 (give or take a couple). Diesels
will run as high as 25:1. Well, at least that is what I was told by the
mechanic who was relating the Ford conversion debacle to me.

The typical gas engine is already engineered to handle the ratios it was
meant to have. That means thin walls on block and pistons, light crank
and piston arms. Swapping out the rings and calling it a diesel (what
Ford did I was made to understand), is just asking to buy a lot of
people new engine 8*)