What have we learned from all this?

Old December 23rd 20, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default What have we learned from all this?

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 9:30:24 PM UTC-8, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 2:53:35 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Frank Whiteley wrote on 12/22/2020 11:55 AM:
On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 6:11:20 AM UTC-7, RR wrote:
It has been hard for people to understand the diference between a public health responce, and a personal health responce. If the vaccine provides significant protection for me (and makes me unable to transit the virus) then if I take it, I don't care if anyone else does. I am good to go. However, the public health issue is what is driving the concern. It is the capisity of the health system, that is overloaded, the morbidity of the virus goes up. The rate of spread controls this. So if it goes unchecked, then truly unrelated illness/accidents goes up from lack of health care workers.

In that there are many hospitals that are now at 100% capisity, we are about to see the effects of unchecked spread. So from a personal prospective, anyone is welcome to deal with there own perceived risk any way they want, but from a public health perspective, you should raly around the flag, and do your part for your countrymen.

The problem with some people (and now even some Swedes) is they are unwilling to curb their activity for the greater good, so government has had to step in. The vaccine rollout will be too slow to effectively curb the public spread for many more months. So buckle up bucks, we still have a long ride.

And if you realy think this is still like the flu, just ask an accute care nurse, who might actually know.
https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/6/e0...D19%20severity. FWIW, you may exercise a choice in that MMR II is considered safe, may impact the severity of COVID-19, may be available at your local commercial shot providers without a doctor's referral, and costs around $100 per injection, 2 x 4 weeks.. Other articles are saying to recommended, but it may be a viable option for some.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play on on the Internet, but a doctor did share this.

It's an interesting study, but here's an excerpt from an article about the study (the article
is he
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...at-comes-next).

"However, Goldenberg stopped short of recommending that adults start asking for booster MMR shots.

“Administering MMR vaccine to adults to decrease illness severity during a COVID infection
should not be considered until randomized clinical trials demonstrate efficacy,” he told
Healthline.

Gohil concurred.

“It’s important to be thoughtful about it. I don’t think you should be giving someone a booster
just because there’s a potential link,” she said.

Gohil said there haven’t been studies on giving boosters to adults, and we don’t know what side
effects there might be. More research would be required before making such a recommendation.

“It would be replacing one problem for another if we didn’t study that in a systematic way,”
she said.

Sorry, I see I mistyped on my post, should have said "Other articles are saying NOT recommended. You found those. Some of this reminds me of the mandatory Swine Flu vaccines us in the military were given in 1976. I got two injections, a few weeks apart. FWIW, I felt great after the second shot for a long while, so am not sure what kind of elixir it was, but it added a feeling of intense physical well being. I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but one of my wife's cousins had a bout of GBS following a flu shot 5-6 years ago and wound up on a ventilator for a while. He recovered but it put a dent in his life. I don't take the flu shot every year, but find it interesting that the MMR II might be the reason for younger persons being less affected.

The COVID vaccine will be widely available long before they have done large double-blind studies of the MMR vaccine. You should be able to get it just to protect you from MMR - COVID protection would be a bonus.

Tom
Old December 23rd 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 6:57:12 PM UTC-6, Gregg Ballou wrote:
All cause mortality is the same or a bit less in 2020.

Apparently not - https://apnews.com/article/us-corona...4ee2e87ae8d5e7

Lou
Old December 23rd 20, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 08:42:37 -0800, MNLou wrote:

On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 6:57:12 PM UTC-6, Gregg Ballou wrote:
All cause mortality is the same or a bit less in 2020.

Apparently not -
https://apnews.com/article/us-corona...top-3-million-

e2bc856b6ec45563b84ee2e87ae8d5e7

Lou

Err, no.

That has to be ALL US deaths so far in 2020 because, according to
the Worldometers website, https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
as of a minute ago, global COVID deaths are 1,730,566 with 331,518 of
those being in the USA.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old December 23rd 20, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Agreed Martin - This compares all deaths in the US between different years. 2020 appears to be on track to be 400,000+ more than last year.

With only one obvious cause.

Lou
Old December 23rd 20, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 12/21/20 5:57 PM, Gregg Ballou wrote:
On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 5:26:49 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 4:56:02 PM UTC-7, Gregg Ballou wrote:

...Yearly flu has a higher body count...

Quick though belated update: A week or so ago US deaths from Covid-19 surpassed 300,000. That was in about ten months since the first US death in early February. With daily deaths averaging ~2500, we're now up around 320,000.

--Bob K.

Without comorbidity BS accounting the 'rona death rate is less than the usual flu bodycount. Except curiously this year there is no flu. All cause mortality is the same or a bit less in 2020. You are free to be as scared as you want, or as scared as the TV tells you to be. FYI being scared is really bad for immune system functioning.
Merry Christmas everyone. And have a blessed 2021. I'm not expecting a racing season in '21 but if we shut off the TV and go to the airport we will get some great soaring in.
PS Some numbers from the Pfizer control group https://www.theburningplatform.com/2...ovid-hysteria/

Joan Crawford to police: "He died from natural causes."
Police officer: "You pushed him off the roof."
Joan Crawford: "Gravity is a natural phenomenon."
Police officer: "We'll list the cause of death as corona virus."

Case closed.

--
Dan
5J
Old December 23rd 20, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote on 12/23/2020 11:41 AM:
[...]

That does not explain the hospitals at max capacity, or higher; the 12 hour shifts so many of
the doctors and nurses must fill; the need for refrigerated morgue trucks parked behind the
hospitals; retirement homes that lose so many of their residents in a couple weeks. These facts
are real, and not due to mislabeling the cause of death; in fact, the evidence suggests Covid
deaths are under reported.

Old December 23rd 20, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

wrote:

[...]

Is there no sense of humor left in this country?

--
Dan
5J
Old December 23rd 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote on 12/23/2020 12:57 PM:
[...]

Probably not. It's hard to be humorous about all these deaths, when so many people in our area
(SE Washington State) think it's just the doctors lying to make more money on a fake Covid
death instead what really caused the death. They pack into illegally operated bars and
restaurants, hold big weddings in private hangars, house too many migrant workers in dorms, and
are pretty much ensuring the businesses and schools won't be getting back to normal operation
for months more than otherwise.

Old December 23rd 20, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Mother Nature is Judge, Jury and Executioner when it comes to violators of the laws of aeronautics (as many pilots' families have found out) and epidemiology.

No pardons.
Old December 23rd 20, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 11:34:28 -0800, MNLou wrote:

Agreed Martin - This compares all deaths in the US between different
years. 2020 appears to be on track to be 400,000+ more than last year.

.... or more when the newly discovered UK and South African variants reach
the USA.

Sadly.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org