YOUR AUGUST UPDATE

Old August 1st 20, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johnhamish[_2_]

Default YOUR AUGUST UPDATE

IT IS PACKED READY FOR DESPATCH

Gliding International is now a monthly aviation journal. It has had a major revamp, a new art director and added two new journalists. Both printed and digital issues will be posted starting Monday. A copy for you is ready to despatch too. Your sub has unfortunately expired but extension can easily be affected via our web page --- www.glidinginternational.com

The issue covers the following topics:

• For the first time ever – a determined attempt to try and solve the decreasing membership problem gliding currently has. A very inexpensive proposal to help any club anywhere increase their membership numbers.

• A review of the World Championship site in Australia – Benalla. (Home to two world championships) It is a highly respected soaring site where one of Australia’s historical pilots went to 13 000 feet inside a thunder cloud setting major world records for an open cockpit glider. “ Benalla has a lot going for it.”

• A historical report on the Grunau Baby, the glider used for the Benalla record flight. Estimated that over 6000 of these sailplanes were actually built, the largest number of any glider ever manufactured. German of course!

• A new simulator is now catching up with gliding enthusiasts (made by Flight Safety). The day of the fixed non moveable seating is on the way out. The American Simulator manufacturer FlightSafety has released information (July 2020) on their new Vital-powered training device, designed by Mal Thurbe. An interesting development that might have a profound effect on the soaring training simulation. A group of soaring pilots have been able to get a private demo of the new technology, which FlightSafety calls a “mixed-reality” flight simulator. More realistic now than ever!

• The lead article in this first monthly issue is about Uys Jonker and his family’s South African sailplane manufacturing unit. They have a lot going for them! Not to mention that they have a new “in the design stage”- 15 metre ship, the JS4 – due for release in 2021.

• Airbus have become deeply involved is a new concept of wing manufacture. Could likely have an effect on future sailplane wings. We will be keeping our eyes wide open on this development and reporting back.

• FAI gets recognition and wins the EASA General Aviation Safety Award and Eur8000 to record the event. A good tribute to F.A.I. and its multitude of volunteers. To see all the sailplanes recorded as flying in Europe at one time is mind blowing. A great great graphic.

• We write about the man who took 30 years to build his own glider. A great effort for anyone!

• A detailed report on all the world’s soaring accidents in June and July - Four fatals in July! A serious look at the Risks of dying doing what we all love.

• The Americans are updating the language in their instructor hand books.

• A big climb in insurance rates - “70 IS THE NEW 50.”

• And the last articles are both a photo review on the future weather whilst the Comet ‘Neowise” comes and goes but will not be back again in our skies for 6,800 years. Wow ! ! !

We hope we can keep you informed for another 12/24 months on the sporting aviation field. Fix up your sub now!

JOHN ROAKE
EDITOR

Old August 3rd 20, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

=E2=80=A2 A historical report on the Grunau Baby, the glider used for

the
=
Benalla record flight. Estimated that over 6000 of these sailplanes were
a=
ctually built, the largest number of any glider ever manufactured. German
o=
f course!

NO the SG-38 (10000 +) was produced in much larger numbers (and
possibly the Antonov A-1 with around 6000 built), 6000 being quite a high
estimate for the GB - but of course the Waco CG-4 with nearly 14000
produced as them all beat

Saturday August 11 Ron Gleason Soaring 4 August 12th 12 11:54 PM
Rocket Racing League First Exhibition Race August 1st and August 2nd, 2008 Larry Dighera Piloting 15 July 3rd 08 07:56 AM
Rocket Racing League First Exhibition Race August 1st and August 2nd, 2008 Larry Dighera Home Built 24 July 3rd 08 07:56 AM
August 7 Update [email protected] General Aviation 0 August 5th 05 01:03 AM
U.S. Team on August 2 John Seaborn Soaring 0 August 2nd 03 06:23 PM