A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Excessive flarm warning on Oudie 2

Old July 28th 20, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe
external usenet poster

Default Excessive flarm warning on Oudie 2

I have a flarmcore connected to an LXNAV Flarmview 2 and an Oudie 2. When I thermal with another Flarm glider, the Flarmview alerts me to its presence and then stays quiet. The Oudie 2 makes a continuous aural alert and displays a red traffic warning. It will not stop. The only solution I have found is to disable the audio warning. Then I can ignore it. The Flarmview 2 gives appropriate elevated warnings when a collision course seems possible. It works as I assume it should.

Any idea of a setting that should be tweaked to make the Oudie behave like the Flarmview? FWIW, the last two flights are the first ones I have noticed this problem. In both flights I was flying with the same pilot in the thermal. He has flarm, but no transponder. In both cases, I disabled the audio warning on the Oudie.

Thanks,

Nelson Howe
Old July 28th 20, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

This is due to PCAS (mode C) collision alarm. The same issue exist in other flight computers like LX9000. You need to turn off the Mode C alarm option, and leave only the alert (new traffic alert) option. Each flight computer calls it differently and I am not familiar with how SeeYou calls it so you may need to poke around and find how to disable it correctly.

Ramy
Old July 29th 20, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 1:48:29 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
This is due to PCAS (mode C) collision alarm. The same issue exist in other flight computers like LX9000. You need to turn off the Mode C alarm option, and leave only the alert (new traffic alert) option. Each flight computer calls it differently and I am not familiar with how SeeYou calls it so you may need to poke around and find how to disable it correctly.

Ramy

Ramy, would it be a mode C alarm if the glider setting off the alarm has no transponder?

Also, I'm not aware of a way to change settings like this separately in the flarm view and the oudie. I thought the configuration was globally set to the Flarmcore via the configuration file.

Nelson
Old July 29th 20, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

If the other aircraft has only flarm and no transponder then these are flarm alarms. They may have not configured their flarm correctly as glider resulting in constant alarms..

While some alerts and alarms can be configured in the flarm core, most alarm parameters are configured in the display, such as alarm level. Not sure about the Oudie specifics.

Ramy