Mid Week Towing Availability

Old July 30th 20, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Mid Week Towing Availability

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 1:50:07 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
With the contest season a bust this year I am thinking about taking the glider on a road trip to someplace in the US where I can fly for a week or more. So - can we please start a string here about tow operations where tows (or even winch/auto launches) are available mid week, or 6-7 days per week?

Location, days of operation, and contact info would be great. Info about motels, camp grounds or on airfield camping would be helpful too. Sadly, I can't share any information myself as there are no operations in New England that are operating full time 7 days right now. Sugarbush VT did not open this year.
Thanks
ROY

Roy, too bad that Sterling cannot get you in the air at least 6 days per week. If you hold off until October the weather here in Florida can be very good for soaring. I have often said that October can be a dynamic month in Florida for flying gliders. I would suggest staying somewhere on the East Coast during these months, as it is a long drive out west and a long drive back. Florida weather in August and September can be a roll of the dice, pretty much in the peak of hurricane season.
Old July 30th 20, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Florida weather in August and September can be a roll of the dice, pretty much in the peak of hurricane season."

Now, THERE is a selling point!

Old July 30th 20, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

We just got some decent flights out of Moriarty yesterday.Â* Today looks
to be much better.Â* Not saying monsoon is over, but it looks hopeful.

On 7/29/2020 6:16 PM, kinsell wrote:
On 7/29/20 4:21 PM, Ramy wrote:
One thing to be aware of when considering NM/AZ/UT/CO is the monsoon
season.
Less of a factor the further west and north you go.

Ramy

Correct.Â* Monsoon was late this year, but just started.Â* Moriarty had
a great season, but it's been fairly quiet there recently.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 30th 20, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 10:08:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
"Florida weather in August and September can be a roll of the dice, pretty much in the peak of hurricane season."

Now, THERE is a selling point!

Yep, but the winter and spring months are great, that is why we are invaded by northerners during the winter.
Old July 31st 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 10:50:07 AM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
With the contest season a bust this year I am thinking about taking the glider on a road trip to someplace in the US where I can fly for a week or more. So - can we please start a string here about tow operations where tows (or even winch/auto launches) are available mid week, or 6-7 days per week?

Location, days of operation, and contact info would be great. Info about motels, camp grounds or on airfield camping would be helpful too. Sadly, I can't share any information myself as there are no operations in New England that are operating full time 7 days right now. Sugarbush VT did not open this year.
Thanks
ROY

Get yourself a motorglider - they can fly ANYWHERE and ANY TIME you want, even in front of a long tow line. BTW, I have an excellent ASH 26e for sale at a great price on Wings and Wheels.

Tom
Old August 1st 20, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Jeffery[_2_]

Roy, I guess that's a no. Plenty here in the UK but not a lot of help to
you!

Stay safe.

At 17:50 29 July 2020, Roy B. wrote:
With the contest season a bust this year I am thinking about taking

the
gli=
der on a road trip to someplace in the US where I can fly for a week or
mor=
e. So - can we please start a string here about tow operations where

tows
(=
or even winch/auto launches) are available mid week, or 6-7 days per

week?
=
=20

Location, days of operation, and contact info would be great. Info

about
mo=
tels, camp grounds or on airfield camping would be helpful too. Sadly,

ca=
n't share any information myself as there are no operations in New

England
=
that are operating full time 7 days right now. Sugarbush VT did not

open
t=
his year.=20
Thanks
ROY

Old August 2nd 20, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 11:50:07 AM UTC-6, Roy B. wrote:
With the contest season a bust this year I am thinking about taking the glider on a road trip to someplace in the US where I can fly for a week or more. So - can we please start a string here about tow operations where tows (or even winch/auto launches) are available mid week, or 6-7 days per week?

Location, days of operation, and contact info would be great. Info about motels, camp grounds or on airfield camping would be helpful too. Sadly, I can't share any information myself as there are no operations in New England that are operating full time 7 days right now. Sugarbush VT did not open this year.
Thanks
ROY

Check with Greg Mecklinberg at the Flying Y airport in Pray, MT, just north of Yellowstone NP. Beautiful place to soar! We also have a newly signed off tow pilot in Ronan, MT, but not much soaring going on here yet.
Old August 3rd 20, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boots

Hi Roy, if you end up passing through PA, the operator at the airfield I fly at has tows available 7 days in Morgantown, PA. Black Diamond Soaring: 610-913-7627,

Definitely should call ahead to schedule, on weekdays there will be no problem getting on the schedule as you might be the only sailplane flying, but some weekends it's busy enough that it might be tricky fitting in an extra unscheduled tow.

Hope you are doing well,

Don Arsenault