ADIZ incursion - where were the lasers?

Old May 13th 05, 01:24 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Default ADIZ incursion - where were the lasers?

I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

Old May 13th 05, 01:30 AM
Blueskies

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...
I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

May 21

Old May 13th 05, 03:51 AM
Bob Chilcoat

You're presuming that these Bozos would know what they meant. "Look at the
pretty lights. Must be some sort of political celebration with a light
show."

news

Old May 13th 05, 05:55 AM
Roger

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:51:01 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

You're presuming that these Bozos would know what they meant. "Look at the
pretty lights. Must be some sort of political celebration with a light
show."

I was gonna say, they'd have needed to have tied them to a big hammer
first if things were as they appeard to have been.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old May 13th 05, 02:32 PM
RNR

On Fri, 13 May 2005 00:30:13 GMT, "Blueskies"
wrote:

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 61...
I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

May 21

Even if they were operational, how many pilots do you think really
know about this program? And I don't mean among the pilots that read
the aviation newsgroups. My guess is that most of the pilots that are
based at my home airport have absolutely no clue that these lights are
going on line or what they mean. The pilots that read a lot of
aviation related material and keep themselves up to date (such as this
group) will be aware, the rest will think that they're flying over an
amusement park with a light show. I don't mean this in a nasty way
but the education process for programs like this is difficult if one
is not continually and voluntarily continuing the process on their
own.
Rich Russell
Old May 13th 05, 02:50 PM
Peter Clark

wrote:

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
.61...
I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

May 21

Even if they were operational, how many pilots do you think really
know about this program? And I don't mean among the pilots that read
the aviation newsgroups. My guess is that most of the pilots that are
based at my home airport have absolutely no clue that these lights are
going on line or what they mean. The pilots that read a lot of
aviation related material and keep themselves up to date (such as this
group) will be aware, the rest will think that they're flying over an
amusement park with a light show. I don't mean this in a nasty way
but the education process for programs like this is difficult if one
is not continually and voluntarily continuing the process on their
own.

Even if you don't hang out on newsgroups, read AOPA, AvWeb, etc,
anyone who reads FDC NOTAM 5/3123 would know about the signal, when it
comes online, and what to do in the event you're painted.

Old May 13th 05, 03:08 PM
Rolf Blom

On 2005-05-13 02:24, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

I'm surprised you don't have barrage ballons and searchlights along the
ADIZ border, it almost seems to be a warzone in making.

/Rolf
Old May 14th 05, 01:17 AM
Blueskies

On 2005-05-13 02:24, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC ADIZ. Are they not operational?

I'm surprised you don't have barrage ballons and searchlights along the ADIZ border, it almost seems to be a warzone
in making.

/Rolf

Now that is a plan. Should be pretty cost effective also. Hmmmm, it may cast some shadows on the folks on hte ground
though and possibly obstruct their view of the sky.....

Old May 14th 05, 02:21 AM
George Patterson

Rolf Blom wrote:

I'm surprised you don't have barrage ballons and searchlights along the
ADIZ border, it almost seems to be a warzone in making.

A miniature Kammhuber line? That would certainly give an errant pilot some
indication that they were off course.

Of course, I suppose the proposed lasers could be considered modern-day
"searchlights."

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 14th 05, 02:13 PM
William W. Plummer

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

I thought they had green lasers to warn airplanes straying into the DC
ADIZ. Are they not operational?

This is the Visual Warning System (VWS). It was discussed in the NASA
Safety Newsletter.

My own take on it is that if a pilot is not communicating and doesn't
know where he is, he isn't likely to see the VWS or know what it means.
The CFI should have to redo all his courses and flying, i.e. requalify.

Busted ADIZ - What Now? Scott Lowrey Piloting 25 August 24th 04 06:13 AM
Regarding the Subject of the ADIZ and Other Restrictions Following 9-11 Larry Smith Home Built 1 November 22nd 03 12:31 AM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM
that Mooney in DC ADIZ Cub Driver Piloting 10 November 13th 03 09:15 PM
DC-VA-MD ADIZ Marissa Long Piloting 2 November 11th 03 09:36 PM