Remarkable web app displaying winds, etc.

Old January 15th 15, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Lewis[_2_]

Default Remarkable web app displaying winds, etc.

I think this is mesmerizing: www.windyty.com
Old January 16th 15, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Farrow[_2_]

Looks pretty similar to
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current...obaric/1000hPa which has been
around a while. Certainly very useful when comparing to the corresponding
synoptic chart.

JF

Old January 16th 15, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 15:53:07 -0800, Jim Lewis wrote:

I think this is mesmerizing: www.windyty.com

You were asking what RASP can do and looking at the UK on the above site,
so have a look at this:

http://rasp.inn.leedsmet.ac.uk/RASPt...SPtableGM.html

...but it can take time to get to grips with what it can do: it lets you
look at 5 days worth of hourly data plots which cover the daylight hours.
For each hour you can choose among 11 different parameters (short form)
or 40 (long form). These count soundings as one parameter, but within
that there are 15 locations to choose from. The number crunching stuff on
the server is pretty standard world-wide and developed by Dr J
Glendinning, an American Met man, but the display tool I linked to was
developed, AFAIK, at Leeds University, UK.

HTH

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 18th 15, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 3:53:08 PM UTC-8, Jim Lewis wrote:
I think this is mesmerizing: www.windyty.com

These are great!

What are the best sites for predicting wave conditions?

Matt
Old January 18th 15, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I use the Skew T chart available on XCSkies. I also look out the
window. I see lennies today, but my glider is out of service while I
work on the instrument panel.

Old January 18th 15, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

For wave, have a look at
http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi
Click Max Updraft, loop.
Jim

Old January 19th 15, 09:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

It works much better on mobile device than nullschool. Thanks!