A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Evercoat Rage Ultra Extra 20-30 minute working time

Old January 13th 16, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Evercoat Rage Ultra Extra 20-30 minute working time

Thanks for sharing the Rage Ultra info, unfortunately I just bought a gallon of the old 5 minute Rage. I tried a new body putty and like it a bunch...... Kombi Spot Putty is much thicker than Nitro-Stain (the red stuff) which is too thin and also shrinks. Kombi, fills all pin-holes with one treatment and works with larger defugalties that may take a second application.
I'm refinishing a replacement wing and made up some 'quickie' leading edge templates from the other wing. Cut 8 cardboard blanks about 6" square, then traced the root rib on the first template and cut it out on the band saw. Then I placed this template on station #2 and noted the gap on the lower side.......which was 1/4" smaller, then I drew # 2, using #1 - 1/4", etc on out the wing. I used 36" spacing. With the wing held leading edge up, I taped on wax paper sheets over each station. Mixed up a batch of Rage and troweled on 1/4" of goo over each cardboard template and shoved them down over their station. After curing, flat sand off any excess goo to give a flat side to each template at each station. Took about 2 hours, and I needed it! The replacement wing leading edge was a good 1/8" different in some places, mainly on lower side toward the outer panel.
Cheers,
JJ Sinclair
Old January 14th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Hey JJ,

The Kombi stuff sounds interesting. Working in a shop where I can't just mix up a batch of filler while I do other stuff around the house (it's about an hour round trip to the shop), the ability to fix small imperfections without wasting a day is key. For garden variety pinholes and nicks, how long before you can sand and paint over it? I'm using PCL Polyprimer on this project...

P3
Old January 14th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Hey JJ,

The Kombi stuff sounds interesting. Working in a shop where I can't just mix up a batch of filler while I do other stuff around the house (it's about an hour round trip to the shop), the ability to fix small imperfections without wasting a day is key. For garden variety pinholes and nicks, how long before you can sand and paint over it? I'm using PCL Polyprimer on this project...

P3
Old January 14th 16, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

p.s. I've tried the 3M Acryl White and it seems to shrink a bit too much...